2 week liquid diet before moms Dec 28th RNY

Tiffany W
on 12/15/09 5:36 am - PITTSBURGH, PA

Hi everyone and congrats to you all for your December surgeries!!!

I am over 3 years post-op (RNY on June 12, 2006) and now my mother just got her RNY surgery date of Mon, Dec 28th.  She is very excited and I couldn't be happier for her to experience this incredible journey! 

Her dr. is different than mine, so his program is different than what I went through for my surgery over 3 years ago.  She was told to go on a 2 week liquid diet prior to surgery, starting yesterday.  She's concerned about getting through Christmas without being able to eat.  Christmas Eve and Christmas Day for us is surrounded by lots of family and FOOD.  I only had to be on a liquid diet for 2 days prior to surgery, so I never had to go through this.

We're wondering....do people really get through 2 weeks without 'cheating' and eating actual food?  And what about suggestions, motivation, for my mom who won't be able to eat anything on Christmas?  She doesn't want to 'cheat', she wants to get through the holidays on this liquid diet.  But I'm curious if there are people who weren't able to get through that 2 week period without food?  

Thanks!!! (my mom is NOT internet savvy, so I'll be printing out replies and giving them to her to read) :-)

Happy Holidays!

rogersmy
on 12/16/09 11:01 am - Smyrna, GA
VSG on 12/29/09 with
My date is 12/29 for the vsg  and my doctor wanted me to be on the liquid protein for 4 weeks.  I have been on it for 2 1/2 weeks.  I eat a couple of thin slices of deli turkey when I get really hungry and want something that isn't liquid or sweet.  Hope your Mom's surgery goes well. 
Fancee
on 12/16/09 7:39 pm - Nashville, TN

My surgery is this Monday.  I have a 10 day liquid diet.  And it is all liquids-- no foods. Have i cheated?  YEP!  LOL!  This is kicking my butt.   But i have not cheated terribly.  One day i had some tuna and today i had a piece of chicken breast.  SO far i have lost 5 pounds.  Been on this diet since Friday.  I would say that she needs to go in to it with the mind set that she is going to stick to it.  It will be very very hard, but she can do it. And if she does slip up..it's okay.. We have problems with eating.. that's why we need WLS  (that's my theory anyway). But the important thing is if she does slip to pull herself back up and start over.  It really does get easier after a couple of days. 

Tiffany W
on 12/16/09 9:55 pm - PITTSBURGH, PA
THANKS!  This is great info and I know my mom will appreciate your mindset of going into this with the intention of sticking with it, but if she's really struggling and has to eat something, to make it high protein (no carb).  I believe this is her thinking already, but it's good to know that she's not the only one in this mindset.  :-)

THANKS!!!
Most Active
Recent Topics
No longer Obese!
sudemo09 · 1 replies · 899 views
I went dancing...
Tere O. · 1 replies · 908 views
6 Months Out ~ Already!!!
Tere O. · 7 replies · 1110 views
Sharing my day with you guys
Teresa D. · 6 replies · 1037 views