Post Op Frustrations...Pls Help

NewMe123010
on 1/9/11 1:26 am - NC
Hello, all!  I am a newby.

I had my RNY on Dec 30th.  Healing well, although still a little sore at the insicions.  I am trying to do a little more each day, but find that I can easily over-do-it.   Still trying to rebuild my stamina. 

I am currently on my 3 wk liquid diet, anything low fat/sugar that will go through a fine mesh strainer.  I have tried yogurt (thinned with soy milk), soups/broths, and of course protein shakes. 
Most of the time I am okay, but recently I have had some really emotional days.   Mostly, the depression seems to stem around the food cravings. After a week of being on this liquid diet, I am about to pull my hair out.  I would do anything for solid food.  Tonight, my mother and husband asked me to find something for them to cook from the freezer.  After picking out their meal, I had a really bad breakdown. 

Does anyone have any suggestions/tips on how to handle the emotions that are associated with the liquid phase of the post op period?

Also, I am on Prilosec, but seem to get heart burn every night.  I have found that the heart burn starts about an hour after taking the Prilosec.  Anyone else have this issue?

Thanks all!

Melody272
on 1/9/11 5:10 am - Miami, FL
Hiii there,

I can actually see where you are coming from. I had to sit a few feet from a table full of delisious foods for both xmas and new years. I do get cravings every now and then but I also think that even if I had it in front of me up for grabs, I wouldnt eat it because it can go terribly wrong. just hang in there, as you progress you will be able to add more foods to your diet. It is still hard for me, everything seems to get me sick so im at a point that I dont even want to eat. I think its safe to say that we all struggle in some way or an other. Hugs :)
       Melody *      
mcfardee
on 1/9/11 8:05 am, edited 1/9/11 8:06 am - OH
I had my surgery 12/27/10. So far, I've watched my family eat pizza, one of my favorite foods, and McDonald's. When they did it, I reminded myself that I want to be healthy and as I get better, I'll have solids that I like. No, not those foods but things that the doctor said would benefit me like fat-free refried beans and string cheese which have protein. Hang in there. These feelings will pass. Strength to you from me.

laurennj38
on 1/12/11 3:28 am
I too am a newbie!  I had my surgery on 12/20 and the holidays were hard.  But I didn't feel well, so I didn't really want the foods everyone was eating, I was just jealous they were eating them.  I understand the emotions you are having.   It is hard to go from being able to eat whatever you want, to only protien shakes and pureed foods.  I sucked on a potatoe chip the other day just to get the salty taste on my tongue before I spit it out.  Hahaha! 

Just try to picture what your life is going to be when you are thinner.  You are in a bathing suit, no longer embarassed, walking to the pool, playing with the kids, whatever makes you smile.  That is what I do when this situation gets me down.  I picture what I will look like and what my life will look like with me thinner.

Good luck!
Kelly B.
on 1/12/11 8:17 am
You are speaking my language!  I had surgery on 12/15/2010 and I have to say that at first I couldn't be around the food my family ate.  Then one day the only thing I could smell or taste was protein and it made me sick.  I started cooking that morning and didn't finish until afternoon.  Just having the smell of food instead of protein helped me out.  News Year day was very rough and I was not a happy camper.  Sugar free Popsicles really did the trick for me.  It felt like a treat. 

Oh, I also went and had a mani and pedi one day to help my emotional state.  That was wonderful too.  I got lots of creams and lotions so I have been "treating" myself and making sure my skin is looking good. 

It's only for so long -- hang in there! 

vhferrari
on 1/12/11 11:57 pm
Hi,

I am thinking about getting the lapband or the super sleeve, not sure yet....  but I am so scare to exactly what you are describing!!!!  my best friend had the lapband 8 years ago and is not really encouraging me to do it....  I need help to decide... I need you guys to tell me if its really worthit!!! I'm desperate, I cannot lose this weight...... also, have anyone knows about Beliteweight?
Most Active
Recent Topics