Help! Denied Again-Considering Canada\Mexico....

Kim1031
on 6/18/06 2:20 pm - Grants Pass, OR
Hi all- We've hit another seemingly impossible insurance road block in our quest for WLS. I am getting so discouraged. Does anyone in Canada - either BC or near Edmonton, Alberta know if your clinics there take on pitiful Americans that don't have much money? Both my husband and I need surgery, and could come up with the fee that the Mexico Clinic charges....but that really, really scares me, and I haven't been able to find a lot of info to allay my fears. We know several people that have come to Canada to have Lasix, and have said that the medical laws and standards are extremely high. So, anyone have ANY suggestions that could get me rolling in the right direction? I would appreciate anything you could tell me, positive or negative. Thank you everyone that's already been so supportive, you make everything so much easier! Thanks, Kim
MissBrenda
on 6/19/06 5:17 pm - Canada
Hey Kim, I think that you should visit the "south of the border" forum. It's all from people who have had their surgeries in Mexico and other various countries. It's honestly nothing to be scared of. They have been doing the surgeries for a very long time, and if you're considering lap band, they have done more than american and canadian doctors. It's not like going to a back alley chop shop at all, great new facilities and so on. North America certainlyl doesn't hold the market for the only good surgeons around. The most important thing is finding a good aftercare doctor in your area, BEFORE you go for surgery somewhere else. As for Canadian doctors, there aren't a whole ton doing them in the country, but if you can search for bariatric doctors in Canada, a few sites list them. Good luck, Brenda
Kim1031
on 6/20/06 11:26 am - Grants Pass, OR
Thanks Brenda! I've done some research on the clinics down south, and so far have yet to hear anything bad about any of them. In fact, the more we have investigated, the more I wonder why MORE people that have to self pay, or have really high deductibles aren't doing that. Or maybe they are, and they just don't post online, so I miss the converstations. So far, in Mexico, I have found two that look like they would be real possibilites. Could you tell me why you chose your Dr? And also, was your surgery in a hospital or clinica or are they the same? The two things I am most concerned about is the epidural (if there is one), and the actual operating room. From what I've read, the standard of care as far as sterility and infection control meets or exceeds the US standards. I got this info from a website for one of the surgery centers, though, so I'd like to know from someone firsthand. I think I would do this kind of research here in the states, also. I've had 4 surgeries under general anesthesia, so I'm no stranger to that, it's a little scary, but I know what to expect there. I'm probably my own worst enemy, but then again, I'm the one trusting someone else with my life! Did you go thru all this also, or am I over thinking because I'm nervous? I have just enough knowledge of infection control in medical offices to be dangerous. Also, any suggestions on how to approach the doctor locally that I hope to have do my aftercare? Any magic words that you might have run into? Thank you again, I really appreciate your extra time in responding! Kim
MissBrenda
on 6/20/06 5:44 pm - Canada
Hi Kim, Which two were you considering in Mexico? I chose Dr. Joya in Puerto Vallarta. His staff was very responsive and very kind. They answered any questions you may have had very quickly. I made up my mind and was in within two weeks. I had the lapband done, not RNY. He has done thousands of surgeries, and I liked the fact that he was very experienced, and that he was specialized in it. I hear many great things about many doctors in Mexico, and I found the "south of the border" forum to be very helpful in that. I think alot of people don't choose it because they think they're cheap shopping surgery, when it's not that way at all. They are more than qualified with fantastic new facilities. The hospital I was in was very small, more like a clinic perhaps. It was so nice and clean and new with a great operating room and so on. Most of the doctors in Mexico have pictures of their facilities on their websites. I didn't have an epidural, was put completely out, it was my first surgery in my life. I had the pre-surgery jitters about all that could go wrong of course, but once I got there I wasn't scared or anything, they made me feel really good. Another reason I think that people don't go there is that they like to have someone near them that has done it. But I found my aftercare doctor before I went, in Alberta we are very limited in terms of number of doctors to do it. But I chose mine in Calgary, and as it turns out I think he's fantastic, does a great job. In choosing your's you may be limited as well. What you'll have to do is a search for bariatric doctors in your area, and just call there office and tell them what kind of surgery your having and having it out of the country, and ask if they do follow up care. Some doctors do, some will only do their own patients. But most people can find a few in their area. Mine is actually a 2.5 hr drive, but that's ok because Calgary is where I'm from and where my family lives. Anything else, don't hesiate to ask. Brenda
motorhomemama
on 7/2/06 12:10 pm - Okotoks, Canada
Brenda. I live inOkotoks and am seriously considering lap-banding. Would you mind telling me which doctor in Calgary you chose for followup? Thanks Edith
MissBrenda
on 7/2/06 4:11 pm - Canada
Hi Edith, I chose Dr. Mitchell in Calgary for my fills. He's actually now doing the surgery as well. I'm not sure of his timeline or availability, but he is now doing them. He charges $100.00 for fills. I find him to be great, he's very relaxed and personal, a great guy. If you have any other questions, feel free to ask. Brenda
penny1
on 9/20/06 1:37 am - vulcan, Canada
do you think calgary health care would pay the expense of this surgery?
penny1
on 9/20/06 11:32 pm - vulcan, Canada
with some help on the interenet i found out it is a 2 year wait list for banding in canada.. calgary.... they do about 25 folks a year and this years quota is up.... sure wish i had the money to go to the usa...would love to be in contact with anyone contemplating a trip .. may we could be banding buddies.....
penny1
on 10/25/06 4:36 am - vulcan, Canada
hi brenda i live in vulcan albeta... and if you wish toi go through this trip together i will be a lap banding buddy with you.. i have began the journey through calgary health region living well program with the final result lap banding.... you can contact me for further ddetails if you wish..mm
yllis
on 7/13/06 7:38 am - Calgary, Canada
Try Dr. Ungson in Mexico. He was terrific and my and my husband's surgeries went great! http://www.drungson.com/eng/obe.htm
Most Active