RNY after VBG

cindy_s
on 11/26/06 1:49 pm - Canada
I'm wanting anyone with advice or anyone who had a previous (unsuccessful) VBG and is considering a revision to RNY. This has been a very long journey for me - almost 10 years. Dr davey was my surgeon to do the VBG, then a revision because of band slippage almost 2 years later. Unfortunately, no diff after revision - I have gained nearly alomst all weight back - +/- 10lbs. I am very active in sports with my family and have made life changes to our daily eating habits. I am determined to get this right, have been thru the initial (2nd) consult, tests, 6 mos with wonderful dietician and am waiting on responce fromDr Davey - if he will see me or what next?? I was told from Dr Davies nurse - no lap band on previous VBG's. Dr davey mentioned tighteneing the VBG or whatelse?? I have read some had RNY's performed by both Dr Birch/Davey - please respond if this is you...... Cindy
(deactivated member)
on 12/20/06 6:51 am - Brampton, Canada
Hi Cindy I had a VBG (stomach stapling) back in 1987. Went down from 261 to 113. Within several years back up to original weight. My stomach had stretched out again but I still can't digest much meat, pasta etc. Last April Dr. Cobourn in Mississauga, Ontario performed lapband surgery on me and I have gone down to 196 from 251 at time of surgery. It is slower weight loss than RNY but I am very happy with it. Dr. Cobourn has done a few revisions of VBG to Lapband. I had to have an endoscopy and other test first but then no problem. Donna
LisaBoston
on 12/21/06 4:52 am - Canada
Yes it can be done and has been done quite a bit in the united states. The trouble in canada is finding a doctor who performs revisions. Usually they are done because of problems with the previous surgery, not just because we need to loose more weight. I don't know of any doctors in alberta that do the revision if any. Is there any way that you can get a referral to the united states and have it covered under our medical plan? There are more and more cases in Canada going to the States. I would certainly look into it. For me, I had the option of having the VBG within 2 months or wait 3 years for the RNY. I choose to wait for the RNY and wouldn't have it any other way! Wishing you the best.
Most Active