Revisons ??

glenda75
on 3/21/07 9:45 am - didsbury, Canada
Hi there, well after reading the posts here on the message boards. It looks like I am going to have a great deal of troubles finding a doctor that will revise my vbg and tighten the band. I have had 3 kids in 4 years and have stretched my stomach out and gained all my weight back. I also found through this site that my doctor dr.j hollingsworth retired a few years back. I am at a loss as to who I should contact ect. if anyone has any suggestions it would be appreciated. I would like to find a doctor that works out of either Calgary or Redeer if possible. Thanks glenda [email protected]
cindy_s
on 3/22/07 12:55 am - Canada
Hi Glenda, my story much the same as yours - my vbg 12 yrs old, had revision 3 yrs after because of band slippage - made no diff. I to have almost gained all the weight back - minus 10lbs. However, over a yr ago went to see my GP and started the long process of having a revision to smthg diff. - you do NOT want to fix a bad VBG. Dr. Davey in Edmonton did my initial surgery so he is the one who is supposed to fix it - so I was told by the weight wise clinic. Saw him, took 6 mo to get in after the referal, he did not agree to a revision at that time, said I had to see the dieticians for at least 3 visits (3 mo) - saw dietician for 6 visits. Then waited 3 mo to get appt with Dr again. That day he offered to do a bypass on me. Having the surgery on Apr 3. Its been a long haul, but well worth it. I have joined the Edmonton Bariatric Support Grp and have since found a few similar people with the same issues as myself. We even have a member from Airdrie. The support grp is important, falling back into the same rut that got us here is not the way we want to go - I personally will do everything in my power to make sure it works this time. Dr. Birch is somewhat new here in Edmonton, he does revisions, Dr Farries is in Red Deer he also does revisions. However, to get in to Dr Farries is diff - he only takes referrals once a yr - on May 1. Your family GP has to keep phoning in that day to get you an appt. Don't know of anyone in Calgary. Start the the process, it may take a while - payoff in the end for you and your health. Take care and good luck. Cindy
sweetdarling_ab
on 3/22/07 3:14 pm - Calgary, Canada
hi, well i feel a bit discouraged cause sounds like both of u had lap bands and need (needed) revisions, but me i am a gastric bypass patient and gained most of my weight back. i wonder if there is hope for me. Dawn
cindy_s
on 3/23/07 4:05 am - Canada
Dawn, VBG is not lap band, was popular 15 yrs ago, very rarely done now. It was however restrictive WLS without the malabsorptive portion. I am being revised to a RNY - but ONLY after going through ALL the required hoops. Also, if your Dr who originally did your WLS is still performing procedures in AB, I'm pretty sure no other Dr will want to deal with it - so I was told by someone in the Capital Health system. If your original Doc is still working , go back and start the long process of either having it repaired or..... Also, go to the revisions Forum, many people in your position have the DS done and are very happy with it. I don't think anyone in Ab does that here. Cindy
sweetdarling_ab
on 2/6/09 7:20 am - Calgary, Canada
hi cindy well its been along time but i fianlly went and had my scope, turns out that my intestine is enlarged...a streched stoma i guess its called. so dr.nohr does not do this he said so he is refereing me tosomeone in edmonton. i just dont know for what????
Most Active