Just getting started

cynthia40
on 4/5/07 5:09 am - calgary, Canada
Hello everyone, My husband and I are just getting started on this ride, so I am open to any and all info we can get, my Dr was having a hard time doing refreals, but thanks to this forum I will be able to give them more info when they open this afternoon. We live in Calgary Alberta, my understanding is there is no drs here we must go to Edmonton, Medician Hat possible Red Deer anyone have comments on which would be the better place? I am currenlty at the highest weight I have ever been 217 I have had 4 kids but I have put most of it on because of depression pills (not that they are helping much either) more depression, more weight, more pills, more weight, more depression. Others have to know what I mean. Now with my weight being so big I just stay at home and hide as much as possible. kills my selfestem My hubby is heavy, how big I am not sure he won`t talk about it, bigger than me, because I still have lots of room in his close, but he is so happy go lucky, he has been heavy all his life, but it scares me because I want him around for a long time, and we have a 8 year old how is missing out on alot of fun times due to energy levels. Any info to get us started would be great, what are the wait times like? what do you have to do before they will give you the lapband, is there a weight that is to big?? what about Alberta Healthcare , whats life like after. Thanks all Cindy
Carolyn W.
on 4/9/07 4:53 am - Edmonton, Canada
Hi Cindy - Welcome to Obesity Help. This Alberta board is not all that busy as there are other boards that people tend to be apart of (ie - I post more on the April board as that is my surgery month). But because I'm from Edmonton I joined this board of course. Also it seems that the majority of the people here are from the states. Well - let me give you some info for Alberta. I'm a patient of Dr. Davey and Dr. Birch that practice out of the Royal Alex in Edmonton. I had my surgery Apr 18/06 so am almost a year post op. Wow it sure doesn't seem like a year. My highest weight was 288 and was 253 on surgery day. But at 5'1" was quite obese. But still according to the docs was considered a light weight. These docs do the RNY surgery (laprascopically) and the adjustable band also laprascopically. Both are covered by Alberta Health Care. As far as I know this is the only place you can get the band covered by AHC. There is also Dr. Farries in Red Deer and Dr. Nohr in Medicine Hat. Both do the RNY surgery but open procedure only as far as I know. I've heard some talk of them wanting to start laprascopic but don't think they do yet. They also don't do that lap band yet. Dr. Farries only takes referrals one day a year - May 1 - so you're in luck just in time. You doc must keep calling his office on May 1 to get you an appointment. If they don't get through - too bad you have another year to wait. As far as I know if you get an appointment you will have your surgery within a year if you are accepted by the doc. Dr. Davey and Birch need referral as well - there is a referral form on the capital health web site. People initally go to the weight wise clinic - attend 2 meetings then either continue with weight wise or are sent to the bariactic clinic. Once at the bariactric clinic you see the nurse then the dieticians for several appointments then see the doc for approval and surgery. It can be a long wait. For me the procedure was a little different but my initial referral was sent in Nov/03 and I heard nothing until Oct/05 when I got my first call. But then had my surgery in Apr/06 only 6 months after starting the program. It was a long initial wait and it seemed like forever once I started. Capital Health Site: http://www.capitalhealth.ca/HospitalsandHealthFacilities/Hospitals/RoyalAlexandraHospital/ ProgramsAndServices/BrowseByAlpha/Content.htm?IA_ID=1008784&NavType=Alpha&PageTitle=Adult% 20Weight%20Management%20Clinic&L=A Weight Wise - this site has the referral form http://www.capitalhealth.ca/weightwise Dr. Nohr also needs a referral as well. There are other sites that you may want to become members of as you will get alot of input from the Alberta patients. There is westcan which is mostly Dr. Nohr and Dr. Farries patients http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/ossg-westcan There is EBSG which is mostly Dr. Davey and Dr. Birch patients with some Dr. Farries. the EBSG is an Edmonton group that meet monthly as well. http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/EdmontonBSG There is also a group in Calgary that meet - you will find info on Westcan. There may be a doctor in Calgary - look for info on Westcan - I did hear rumor but never got anything definite. If you want to self pay there are other options as well - seems alot of people go to Ontario. But if getting the lap band you will need a doc you can go to locally for the fills unless you can afford to go back and forth to Ontario. Well that's some info for now. Let me know if there is anything else I can help with. By the way - I'm down to 152 lbs now and am feeling great. No complications - Life is good. This is a great tool that I've been given - but it is just a tool. It is not a miracle cure for obesity. It certainly does help but food will always be an issue. Remember that most of us got obese due to our heads not our stomachs and it's the head that needs the help. Feel free to check out my page - just click on my name in this reply. Take care and good luck! Carolyn
BJH
on 5/10/07 12:58 am - Canada
Hi Cindy my name is BJ and I live in Airdrie, My doctor has refered me to Dr Debru in Calgary and he does the bariatric surgery. But you have to attend the Calgary Health Region Weight Management Program first. It is a three part information Session, then an individual assessment appt. is scheduled.. This all seems to take some time, I had my appt. with my Dr. back in Jan. and just now heard from them. The classes fill up fast and can't get in until July. It seems like a very long procedure, but at my end of yo-yo dieting, just want to be a healthy weight for a change. So good luck on your journey,hope this helped. BJ
Pinner
on 9/21/14 8:19 am

Hello BJ.

I have an appointment with Dr. Debru regarding my surgery.  My question is…  Do you know if Dr. Debru preforms the vertical sleeve procedure as well as lapbands?  Thanks for any info :)

Most Active