Go out of country and still be covered

Melanie H.
on 5/27/07 12:30 pm - London, Canada
I am sorry to be sticking my nose in on your forum but I wanted to see where people from the other provinces are going for the Gastric bypass or the DS switch. Now I see that you have not been informed on ways to get around the lack of surgeons in Canada. I live in London Ontario and we have a support group here Led by Shirley Hodder and I am a co-moderator of it. For at least 4 years we have been being sent to the States to have our surgeries because there is more than 2 years waiting list here. There are also other reasons to go out of country like being over 50 or more than 350 pounds. If any of these are the problem there you can be sent out of country to have your surgery. Check into the Obesity Help Forum for Ontario or come on over and join us in our support group and learn how to fill out the paper work to go out of country. We begin by making a list of all the surgeons in our area who do the RNY gastric bypass or the DS switch and then call them and see what the waiting list is. If it is more then 2 years you fill out the out of country forms for your province with the name of a surgeon in the states and you can be sent out. You will have to wait for the approval and then when you get it you are on the way. We are in the same Canada if it works in our province it will work in yours as well. Check it out and see what you can find. They do not fund the Lap band surgery because they consider it still experimental. The only two they fund is RNY gastric bypass, and the DS Switch. Let me know if I can be of any help. It takes a bit of jumping through hoops but it is worth it in the long run. Melanie ALL THINGS ARE BEARABLE WITH THE SUPPORT OF FRIENDS! http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/london_wls_support_group/
Ayslyn
on 6/9/07 4:40 pm - Cherhill, Canada
Alberta Health Doesnt pay the same for Out of country/province and OHIP does.. Too bad they dont..
Melanie H.
on 6/9/07 11:36 pm - London, Canada
Hi Stephanie: Shirley Hodder has helped at least one person form Alberta get the surgery paid for in the States. She has been fighting this cause in Ontario for 7years and got about 600 a year covered here in Ontario, they didn't do it either. You have to be willing to fight the fight and jump through the hoops they want you to but it is available if you want it badly enough. [email protected] I am telling you she is a fighter and this is her passion. It can be done. Canada is Canada for all of us not just for Ontario. Melanie
topdog1
on 9/19/07 4:42 am - fredericton, Canada
Hi Melanie, Do you have a link to some of these surgeons in the states? I would love to know where to start with all of this. Forms, documents, etc.. what should i do? How do i get approved? Also, what is the typical wait time for these surgeons in the USA? Thanks for all your help [email protected]
karebear27
on 9/12/08 8:47 am - Canada
Hi my name is Karen.  I live in BC and am on a long waiting list for Gastric Bypass. I would love all the information and help I could get about out of province or out of country assistance for a Gastric Bypass.  I'm only 28 and I weigh 385lbs.  I'm on disability because I have 3 herniated discs in my back and its only getting worse.  There is no way that my husband and I can pay for surgary as we had to declare bankruptcy last year because of me being unable to work. 
Can you please email me back with any information that you think can help me.
thanks so much ([email protected])
Most Active