Trials and tribulations of a Slave Laker !

lmfgrp
on 6/11/11 11:36 am, edited 6/11/11 11:39 am - Canada
So for the last month my diet has gone up in smoke (pardon the pun), on May 13 my family and I were evacuated from our acreage outside Slave Lake.  We moved into a friends house in Slave Lake on the SE side of town (the side of town that was mostly burnt).  Only to be evacuated again on the 14, we made it to a friends house 45 minutes away and stayed there for 2 days.  No control over food, nor did I care at that point.  All I cared about was wether my  home and my friends homes were still there, where my friends where, and that my children were able to be kids.  After 2 days I had enough of that location as we were put on stand by for yet another evacuation for a fire that was south of their house.  My mom & dad came and picked us up as my husband had to stay behind in Slave Lake to work.  So then to Grandma's house, my parents are elderly and my father had just went through knee surgery and man was he grumpy.  Again that lasted 2 days, and we moved to my sister's home.  That wasn't the smartest move on my part as her and her husband are not the most sensitive people in the world and was told I need to be more positive........more positive while my home town is 1/3 burnt and my friends may or may not have a home.  At this point we found out our home was spared but with unknown smoke damage.  So after yet another 2 days we moved on to a hotel in Stony Plain, beautiful suite with 2 rooms, 2 bathrooms and a kitchenette, not to mention a pool in the hotel. This became my sacuary, my place to think, reflect, cry and be angry any time I wanted and not worry about offending or intruding on anyones space. 

Diet wise it was hard, tried to make the healthier choices.  In the middle of it I had an appointment to see Sue at Weight Wise.  As I arrived the ladies were all shocked that I showed up and told me if I had no-showed they would have been OK with that.  I told them, I had nothing better to do that day, so might as well get'er done.  I did gain .5 kgs, I was not suprised as I had been eating on the fly and at restaurants for the last week, not to mention stress, and not getting exercise (not including my ugly crying moments).  After 5 days in the hotel we got word that my boss had put me on the essential staff list and we were permitted to return home.  Apon returning we were told to duct tape our fridges and freezers and move them outside to be picked up and destroyed (worries of contamination).  So we then began the week of living, cleaning, and trying to get some normal back in our life with no fridge or freezer, living out of a cooler that my BFF brought me from Edmonton as there were none to be found in Slave Lake.  

Now we have been home for a week, fridge is in (beautiful new fridge), some groceries in it and more to be put in it this weekend.  So I need to get myself back on track as I am meeting with the Surgeon on the 23 of June, life goes on and I am ready to embrace all that it offers.  I need my health to tackle all the stresses and challenges that are to present themselves as a resident of Slave Lake, and as Coordinator for Victim Services up here. 

So ladies and gentlemen may I say after facing trying to get out of a town while it was on fire, not being able to see a block in front of me, fire balls coming out of the sky and hitting our car, and signs exploding as we drive by, and the trees burning around us, my weight was not a huge factor in how I handled anything, it was my spirit, my heart and my mind.   None of that is effected by the size of my ass.........but look forward to that being smaller !!  I have never been through anything so scary in my life and I survived, and will thrive...........and my weight loss journey in perspective to eveything else is a cake walk compared to the last month!!

Hug your neighbours, enjoy your homes, and on a serious note, take lots of pictures of your home, drawers, cupboards, closets, and furniture, CDs, movies, etc.  I have so many friends right now that are trying to remember everything..........Take care of yourselves, family, and friends....they are precious and you never know when they could be taken away from you.

Keelan
on 6/11/11 2:35 pm
First of all I'm so sorry that you and your family had to suffer through such a tragic ordeal. But I am so proud that you were able to make positives out of the negatives.
I hope now that you are home and settled that things will get some normalcy to them and Good Luck with your appointment on the 23rd.

Kee.

HW:274  SW:238  CW: 150.0  1St goal: 199.8  2nd goal:174 (100 pound lost)
My Persoanl Goal: (HIgh)150 (Low)140

1st goal acheived December 27th/2010. 1 week after my 3rd month surgery anniversary.
2nd goal acheived June 4th/2011. 2 weeks after my 8th Month Surgiversary

Gall Bladder surgery April 12,2012

You can either believe it will happen.....or believe it won't.  Both are self fulfilled prophesies. For Me it has happened.  My Surgery was September 21/2010

deedee123
on 6/11/11 3:33 pm - Canada
It takes times like that to really put life into perspective.  I am so amazed at your resolve and knowing that I've been struggling with so much less stress makes me give my head a shake and say get back on the wagon, it could be so much worse for me.  I am so glad that your house was spared and that you can now begin rebuilding as a community.  Goodluck with the road ahead both with the surgeon and in your community.
Congrats on your strength and perseverance!

Referral October 2008 - lost    1st Clinic visit Nov 2010  VSG September 13, 2011  
Weight lost from 1st clinic visit to surgery 100lbs   Goal - 160-180 (I think)
newmom35
on 6/12/11 3:56 am - Edmonton, Canada
RNY on 12/19/12
I'm so sorry that you and the community of Slave Lake had to go through that tragedy. My heart goes out to you. Your story is such a reminder of how we forget whats really important in our lives sometimes. Good for you for getting back on track with the wls. Keep it up!
Best wishes!
Gizzys
on 6/13/11 1:00 am - Canada
Wow, now that's stress!  You are doing quite well under the cir****tances.  Keep your chin up.  I hope things return to normal soon.  Take care of yourself.

Giselle

I'm 5 ft 7.5 inches tall... 
 "The best way to predict your future is to create it."                   

~ Unknown       

lmfgrp
on 6/18/11 12:13 pm - Canada
Thanks everyone.....we are plugging away up here.  Had a bad day today, realized I have to say good bye to some friends as they are not coming back to Slave Lake.  A little weepy, tried to go to the gym but they have changed their hours to no Saturdays... Oh well will do Wii fit instead!!
Most Active