Dr.Karmali

lmfgrp
on 9/8/11 1:48 pm - Canada
Is anyone else waiting for a surgery date with Dr.Karmali?  does anyone have surgery dates already for Dr.Karmali?  What are your dates?
deedee123
on 9/8/11 2:27 pm - Canada
Hi There,
  There are many people that have had surgery with Dr. Karmali that participate in this website, others like me who are scheduled to have surgery with him, and still others who are waiting for dates.  My date for surgery is September 13th.  You can see a bit of my timeline on the signature part of my post.  It's been a long haul but worth every minute of it and in reality I needed the time until I was approved for surgery to prepare myself, I would have liked the surgery to occur faster but in hindsight it has given me the ability to say wow...I keep losing and have been able to not sabotage my success as many of us have done with past weight loss efforts.  My surgery is just the next tool to add to my toolbox of weight loss success that will assist me more with keeping the desired amount of weight off and get me to where I want to be in terms of total loss.

Are you seeing Dr. K?

Deanne

Referral October 2008 - lost    1st Clinic visit Nov 2010  VSG September 13, 2011  
Weight lost from 1st clinic visit to surgery 100lbs   Goal - 160-180 (I think)
lmfgrp
on 9/9/11 5:37 am - Canada
I have seen him, done the swollow test and now waiting for my call for a date for surgery, not waiting for it to fix me, just trying to plan my life, with work, home, holidays, etc.  Have no idea when it might be, wether I am looking at 3 months , 6 months, or next week.  Gotta book stuff for work and scared to!
deedee123
on 9/9/11 5:49 am - Canada
The waiting period between approval and surgery has definitely been the hardest for me.  You can expect to wait about 6 months from approval to surgery.  This is an average.  Once all your paperwork comes together Dr. Karmali and his team come together to sign off on the chart and then it goes over to the booking clerk at the hospital.  From there she works her way down the list.  Are you VSG or RNY?  This can also impact your wait time.  RNY tends to be a little faster, though not that much and not consistently.  Do you have more appointments booked with your nurse or Nut?  They can help you with the process details but really they won't get very specific out of fear that they may be wrong and people get upset if they wait longer than indicated (understandably so). 
My advice, stay the course, try to keep on track as much as possible, continue doing the same things that got you to the approval point.  Lean on your support network when you need to.  Don't be afraid to call the clinic to set an appointment if you feel you are falling away.  Sometimes that little accountability check of a weigh in is enough to re-energize the efforts.  There are a lot of people on here that have been in your shoes and are more than willing to support and help.  Reach out.
Congrats on getting this far, it just gets better from here!
Deanne

Referral October 2008 - lost    1st Clinic visit Nov 2010  VSG September 13, 2011  
Weight lost from 1st clinic visit to surgery 100lbs   Goal - 160-180 (I think)
lmfgrp
on 9/9/11 7:06 am - Canada
Before I answer any of the above questions can you tell me waht the VSG and RNY stands for and also NUT???
Tige-Girl
on 9/11/11 1:56 pm - Canada
Good luck to you on your surgery on Tues. I'll be sending positive thoughts your way and look forward to hearing about your experience!!

Silk911
on 9/9/11 7:45 am
Hi there,

The RNY stands for Roux-en-Y. Another name is Gastric Bypass
The VSG stands for Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy. Or Sleeve
The NUT stands for Nutritionist or Dietitian

These are all terms you will hear on this message board.

I want to wish you all of the very best of happenings in your journey into Weight Loss... this will be the final leg of a long journey.

Good Luck with all of your choices and remember that you are NEVER alone. The clinic will help as much as possible - But you need to let them know when you get into trouble. We, on this board, will help as much as we possibly can.

You always have Friends here that know what the journey is like and can commiserate and encourage, advise and share. They can even give us a kick in the pants when we need one.

This board has helped me so much that I could never have survived without them..

Melody

lmfgrp
on 9/9/11 8:06 am - Canada
Thanks Melody for the definitions, I was a little lost!!
I am getting the VSG (LOL), the sleeve, it was the one I was most comfortable with.  My surgeon is Dr. Karmali, and I am on the list and waiting for the call from the surgeon on a date.  I am hoping it is soon.  In the mean time, still keep plugging away on the pounds and getting the exercise.  I am looking forward to my future (fat or skinny)!!

Thanks ladies for all your help.  I was wondering if anyone got a call recently for surgery dates and when are they just so I have a general idea if I am looking at after Christmas or what?
jojo55
on 9/9/11 8:13 am - Canada
Dr. Karmali is my surgeon also. I saw him in March, had my endoscopy in May and was called with a date for my RNYsurgery  in August. My surgery date is Sept. 27th.

I was told you can expect at least 3 weeks notice of the date unless you  get a cancellation date. You won't know the time of the surgery until the day before. The hospital will call you with a pre admission appointment that will be 1-2 weeks before your surgery date.

Hope this helps! The waiting from the time you have your date until, it is finally here is the hardest!

Good luck on your weight loss journey.

Jo Jo
lmfgrp
on 9/18/11 1:14 pm - Canada
I got a surgery date!!!! it is in 9 days!!! OMG!!
Most Active