Reintroduction

Xcalibur2572
on 5/31/12 7:44 pm, edited 5/31/12 7:45 pm - Canada
RNY on 05/23/12
 Hi All!

For some of the OH folks, you know me about from 2.5 years ago.  I was active in OH when I had my VSG with Dr. Karmali in Nov 2009.  Since my surgery, I lost about 100 lbs and stopped.  Along with the plateau, I stopped checking in at OH and focused on being a co-team member of the Edmonton Bariatric Support Group.  You probably have seen my occasional postings about when meetings are coming up.

Last week I had a revision from the sleeve to the RNY gastric bypass.  This was a treatment plan that was determined back in 2009.  I was hoping that the results with the VSG would have been better than they were and I would not need the RNY, but such as life.  I've been post RNY 7 days and patiently waiting for solids to start next Thursday.

Anyway, I thought that I would reintroduce myself to OH Alberta and try to start following it again. If you have any questions for me, feel free to ask.  Otherwise, I will chime in when I can.

Cheers!
- Alex

Hvfaith
on 6/2/12 12:46 pm - St Albert, Canada
 Welcome back!  I've always enjoyed your posts! How are you finding this journey?  It hasn't been easy for me, I am getting back on track after three very difficult months and a pretty hefty gain during that time.  Love to hear more of your story.
Xcalibur2572
on 6/3/12 8:54 pm - Canada
RNY on 05/23/12
 Thanks HVfaith, I appreciate your kind remark.

At this point, I'm finding the RNY journey to be a bit more painful than the VSG on. While I am still on the full fluids until Thursday, I've got a considerable burning pain below my main incision site on the lower left of my stomach.  Knowing that this is the largest site where the tools are inserted explains the situation, it certainly doesn't help the pain.  I was sent home with liquid asprin and codine, whihc taste absolutely horrible and I refuse to drink it.  So, I can't complain too much about the pain.  Just when I think the pain is subsiding, it comes back to slap me upside the head and remind me it's there.  Of the research I've done, this pain is normal, but the recovery period could still be a few more weeks. Oy vey!

I see Dr. Birch next Mon as Dr. Karmali couldn't see me and I didn't want to wait the 5 weeks for the initial follow-up. It's my hope he will sign me off to return to work on limited duties until I can see Karmali on June 28.  If my pain isn't better by then, there's going to be trouble.  :)

Aside from the pain, the full bariatric fluid diet is bleh!  However, having a Magic Bullet has been beneficial.  Been over to my parents place a couple times and it's amazing what you can blend into a liquidy goldmine of flavor.  Last night was meatball, potatoes, onions, and green beans.  :)  I'm sure my RD will flip out when they read this on my logs.   :)

If it makes you feel any better, I did gain after a period of time after my sleeve. From my lowest weight, it creeped up by 15-20 lbs and fluxuated between.  It was a struggle to maintain my motivation to keep logging, exercising, and doin' the program.  But, the overall sitation was that that I was still down between 90-100lbs to the clinic from surgery.  So, they feel I'm a sucess and probably one of the reason why they supported the idea of the revision.  I am fortunate that they did.  When I think about all the people who are desperately trying to get into the clinic and wait months to years to do it, it makes me appreciate it more.  I've had 2 bariatric surgeries in the span of 2.5 years.  Some people wait longer than that for the first.  So, I am blessed.

Not mch more to tell.  Waiting for Thursday to start handling solids.  I've never been so anxious for an eggs, toast, and cottage cheese.  :)

Cheers!
- Alex

sidsid
on 6/4/12 11:51 pm
 A, I see Birch on the 11th also, can't remember the time ? 10:30, maybe see you there
J
Xcalibur2572
on 6/5/12 1:11 am - Canada
RNY on 05/23/12
 I'm seeing him for 10:30, but as you may know Birch is notoriously behind schedule most days. I'd think we'll see each other. 

Cheers!
- Alex

Hvfaith
on 6/4/12 1:58 pm - St Albert, Canada
 I remember the first scrambled egg I ate after surgery....it was without a doubt the best thing I've ever eaten in my life!  Seriously!  Nothing will ever match that after the liquid phase of RNY.  Thanks for the support on the regain.  I'm down two lbs since I have refocused and became more careful with tracking and my calories.  It is incredible how many calories that wee little pouch can hold over the course of a day when your first choice isn't dense protein and you let one snack turn into three before the next meal.  Hope all went well with your appointment.  I'm a Dr. Birch fan!  He was incredibly kind to me during my time.
Xcalibur2572
on 6/4/12 10:21 pm, edited 6/4/12 10:23 pm - Canada
RNY on 05/23/12
Oh, I know. An egg on toast was my first meal post VSG and it's likely going to be on Thursday.  :)

I know what you mean about the amount of calories the pouch can hold.  I'm not too weeks out and I'm having little issues with the liquids and sliders.  There have been days that I have been able to stuff up to 2000 calories down my pie hole...Granted, it's things like full fat ice cream and smoothies with yogurt, but still.  It shouldn't worry me because I am in the fluid phase and things will change when I start eating full solids. However, it was just disconcerting nevertheless.

No appointment yesterday, but next Monday with Birch.  I couldn't see Karmali (my reg surgeon) so Birch will do the 2.5 week follow-up.  I will see Karmali at  week 5 just because he's a cool dude, in my opinion.

Cheers!
- Alex

Hvfaith
on 6/20/12 12:22 pm - St Albert, Canada
 Hi Xcalibur.....how's the battle these days?
Xcalibur2572
on 6/28/12 9:37 pm, edited 6/28/12 9:45 pm - Canada
RNY on 05/23/12
 Hi J!

Things are going pretty well.  I can't complain.  I would like to think that I finally have a handle on judging my capacity now.  It was rought for the first few weeks as I would overdo it, get the pressure, then have to wait 3-4 hours for it to pass.  Agony.  However, I don't think that's happened for a couple weeks now.

Exercising is good and the weight is coming off steadily so far.  I'm just waiting for my post-surgery plateau to hit.  Hopefully, I can do another 18 lbs before my birthday later next month.  We'll see.

I saw Karmali yesterday.  He's very happy with the way things are going.  I'll see him for a 6 month follow-up in December.

How are you doing these days?  Are you coming to the meeting on July 9?

Cheers!
- Alex

Most Active