When medical tourism goes wrong!

Xcalibur2572
on 2/13/13 12:06 am - Canada
RNY on 05/23/12

http://www.edmontonjournal.com/health/Canadians+spending+buc ks+medical+tourism+health+expert/7955612/story.html

Not everyone who goes down to Mexico or elsewhere are as lucky as some.  This article quote Dr. DeGara from the Revision Clinic at the Royal Alex.

Cheers!

- Alex

Kelly-AnneH
on 2/13/13 1:40 am, edited 2/14/13 9:04 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
I don't think it's just luck.

It's important to exercise due diligence and not just going for the cheapest instead of carefully researching the surgeon and facility before booking. One of the reasons I felt fine about going to Dr Aceves was a link Dr Sharma had posted on his blog and Dr Karmali had commented positively on. It was to a profile of one of Dr Alvarez's patients, and Dr Alvarez was one of the 3 surgeons I contacted once I decided that the 2 Canadian surgeons that do self-pay WLS were not suitable for me. (The other 2 are Dr Aceves are Dr Cirangle)

Dr Aceves had done over 1500 sleeves - the surgeon in Quebec "over 100." I was able to talk directly to several Dr Aceves patients, but none of the surgeon in Quebec. I didn't even look at the surgeons that operate in strip malls or use "recovery houses." My health is too important to "bargain hunt."
No matter where you have surgery done, it's important to do your own research, talk to other patients, and get help with nutritional and head issues.

Highest 303.4, Surgery 263, Current 217.8, Goal 180

Xcalibur2572
on 2/14/13 7:11 am - Canada
RNY on 05/23/12

I totally agree with that.  Doing your research and homework is important. Just like the work that was done by each of us when we decided to have bariatric surgery in the first place.  A decision that should not have been made lightly.

However, even having done all the due diligence possible, it is still possible to have complications whether it's in Mexcio, Quebec, and even here in Edmonton.

The issue with medical tourism is that people who exercise these option place an undue burden on the medical system when they come back with out of country procedures, as Dr. DeGara mentioned.

If someone wishes to have out of country medical procedures, that is there choice.  However, they should also be prepared to pay the full cost of any intervention that is needed back in Alberta.  People who get lost skiing out of bounds in the mountains and need to be rescued are made to pay their costs.  Why shouldn't medical tourists be made to be accountable for their decisions?

Cheers!

- Alex

Missdede
on 2/14/13 11:00 am - Canada
VSG on 10/10/12

I'm  going to hazard a guess that us "out of towners" still net out cheaper to the system.  I saved Alberta God knows how much, I'm going to guess minimum $40,000 by self paying and going to Dr. Aceves in Mexicalli.  Playing devils advocate now but I could say why should Alberta Health Care cover the cost of elective surgery a person wants once sometimes even twice?   It's a slippery slope my friend.

Kelly-AnneH
on 2/14/13 11:47 am, edited 2/14/13 11:48 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
I agree, Deidra, and have an addition. It's generally been my experience that people who pay their own way tend to have more of a stake in being successful. That doesn't mean that people who have their surgeries paid for by Alberta Health don't try hard, (and the support of the WW clinic is nothing short of amazing) but as a self-pay patient I feel I have extra incentive to "get my money's worth."

I have no issue with publicly funded WLS, but I'm not ashamed of deciding to take control of my own journey.

Scorcia
on 3/3/13 3:19 pm
Kelly-Anne, I remember you from one of the support groups I attended at the RAH before putting my journey on hold for a pregnancy. Your photo shows you've come a long way since then, congrats.

You speak so highly of your surgeon, but I have a question that falls into the medical tourism catagory. I distinctly remember you knitting in the group, while being quite upset that the clinic had discharged you as an unsuitable surgical candidate. Were you able to address the reasons WWC refused you, or did your surgeon not care about the clinic's opinions?
Kelly-AnneH
on 3/5/13 12:25 am - Edmonton, Canada
VSG on 06/26/12
I was discharged from the clinic because the doctor felt that I was unlikely to lose more than perhaps another 10-15 with surgery (I'd lost 45# with diet and exercise and was 258# at the time) and he said they don't take the risks of surgery for 10-15#. There was no concern about compliance, "head issues" or any medical problems. My blood pressure, cholesterol and severe pain from arthritis, chronic bursitis and sciatica were "under control" with medication.

As you can see by my ticker I DID have more to lose, and I'm not done. I'm also off of all drugs for pain, blood pressure and cholesterol. I eat a healthy balanced diet of about 8-900 calories per day, am rarely even mildly hungry, can walk for hours and feel like $1,000,000.

My family doctor is beyond happy with my results so far. He agreed to support me and do my aftercare before I flew south for the surgery and has been absolutely wonderful.

Scorcia
on 3/3/13 3:08 pm
I'm not sure I understand why you feel you've saved Alberta $40k. Could you elaborate?
Xcalibur2572
on 2/20/13 1:52 am - Canada
RNY on 05/23/12

Dr. DeGara talks on QR77 radio Calgary on medical tourism.

http://www.qr77.com/news/audiovault/

Go to February 19 at 3:00pm and slide to apx 32:00 for segment to start.

This segment is only available for 14 days.

Cheers!

- Alex

NiceyDoodle
on 2/28/13 12:52 am - Calgary, Canada
VSG on 02/19/13

I am just happy to see others went to Mexico! I just came back on Feb 23rd!

Most Active