Surgery Update for Xcalibur2572

Xcalibur2572
on 5/7/14 1:19 am, edited 5/7/14 1:23 am - Canada
RNY on 05/23/12

Hi All!

It's been a while since I was a regular poster to OH/AB, but I thought that I would provide an update.  A brief surgical history to start:

• VSG - Nov 2009
  • Gallbladder Removal - May 2011
  • Revision to RnY - May 2012
  • Stage 1 Reconstructive - Panni, Abdomen + Pelvic, Inner Thighs, Liposuction - November 2013
  • Stage 2 Reconstructive - Male breast reduction, brachioplasty (arm lift), upper back/body lift, addtl liposuction - April 2014
  • My surgeon was Dr. Karmali and Plastic Surgeon is Dr. Toy.

I'm about a week out from Stage 2 and doing well.  Things are still sore, but that will clear up over the next couple weeks while I am off work.  If want a more information, you can find an almost daily report on my progress at the Edmonton Bariatric Support Group Facebook Forum, which is linked here.

Overall, I have lost 240lbs from my highest weight and the reconstructive surgeries were a stepping stone to more weight loss.  The excess skin was getting in the way of exercising and had to go.  I'm hoping to drop another 50 lbs to reach my goals.

If you have any questions, please feel free to ask.  Being a 6 year vet of the Edmonton Weight Wise and Adult Bariatric Clinics, I probably have seen or heard most of it.  I'm an open book.

Cheers!

- Xcalibur

spinner137
on 5/8/14 1:05 pm - Canada

Holy cow! 240lbs?!? That's... all of me! You're amazing!

I just started this back in January with a doctor referral. Had the info session and first nurse appointment. Psych appointment and all classes are booked... what comes after the last nurse appointment? I realize it takes a while for surgery (Calgary), but I'm curious what tests they might do.

T.Benoit 

Xcalibur2572
on 5/8/14 6:03 pm - Canada
RNY on 05/23/12

Thanks for the compliment.   I  don't consider myself amazing.  I only lost 240 lbs because I topped the scales at 550 lbs.  I've still got about another 50 lbs to go before I hit my goal.

I went through the Edmonton Weight Wise/Adult Bariatric Clinic many (6) years ago.  So, I am not entirely sure what the process is now.  However, I have heard that when you get the surgeon, they will require you have a gastroscope.  Once that is done and you're signed off, you will be added to the surgery waiting list.

Cheers

xcalibur

Robert H.
on 5/23/14 2:19 am - St. Albert, AB, Canada
VSG on 11/26/13

Good Morning, after reading through your surgical history I have few questions.  Why did you have to do the revision to the RNY after getting VSG ?  Do you have any idea what the waiting list for Dr. Toy is, if you're willing to do total self pay (would like to do a lower body lift, chest, thighs and arms). ? Do you know what these procedures would cost roughly. maybe it would be too much to handle ?   My total weight loss at my goal weight is approx 200 lbs. Thanks in advance for your reply.

Xcalibur2572
on 5/23/14 2:36 am, edited 5/23/14 2:40 am - Canada
RNY on 05/23/12

Hi Robert:

I was originally planned as a 2 surgery process as I was a super morbidly obese patient.  There were far too many risks for the clinic to entertain only an RnY despite what you see on TV and My 600 lbs Life.  The sleeve was originally designed as a 1st step procedure for such patients.  It allowed me to drop about 100 lbs so that I could undergo the RnY much more safely.  It just so happens that some patients have found great success in the sleeve and don't need/want to consider the RnY.

The waiting list for Dr. Toy is, at least 1 year.  Some people I know have been waiting up to 2 years.  It doesn't matter if you are self pay.  When it comes to plastics, everyone is essentially self pay as only 2 procedures are covered by AHS.  The pannus removal and breast reduction.  Everything else is pay.  The cost is dependent on what you need to have done, the severity of the deformity, and what procedures you can bundle together in one surgical session.  I can say that for a abdonimoplasty (tummy tuck), you are looking at about $7,000.  For arms (brachioplasty), about $8000-$9000.  I've heard that LBLs are in the $10,000.  Not sure about inside thighs.  My upper back lift was $4000.  These are only guidelines.  You need to talk to Dr. Toy or your plastic surgeon for actual numbers.

Hope this helps!

Cheers!

xcalibur

Robert H.
on 5/23/14 3:06 am - St. Albert, AB, Canada
VSG on 11/26/13

thanks, this helps me out tremendously in figuring out what I can and cannot do in terms of plastic surgery regarding cost etc.

Most Active