Does your surgeon ask you to lose weight before your surgery?

okgal50
on 4/20/15 4:35 am, edited 4/20/15 4:38 am

I am just wondering if this is a common request among surgeons in Alberta anyway.  Is there follow up services as well after if you have WLS in Alberta?  I guess it depends on the surgeon.  Please let me know your experiences!

Smycklets
on 4/20/15 7:51 am - Calgary, Canada

Depending on a few factors such as how high your BMI is and where your weight is distributed and your weight history they will probably want you to lose some weight (probably 10% or more). The higher your BMI is the riskier the surgery is so they want to reduce that risk as much as possible. Also if you carry most of your weight in your belly they want to shrink that as much as possible before surgery. Also its important for them to see that you can make the lifestyle changes necessary to be successful. Remember surgery is not a miracle cure all it is a tool to help you but you still have to put in a lot of work.

There are lots of programs and groups that help support you long after surgery whichever clinic you are part of you will be for a long time.

mornings
on 4/20/15 12:30 pm, edited 4/20/15 12:30 pm - Canada

im from alberta  and before my first surgery  yes I needed to show them I can lose weight ,  usually  10  to 20 lbs  mine was 51 lbs ,  but they do this for more then one reason  ,, to see how devoted you are to this , also   people who have a high bmi carry   a lot of fat on there liver which they need some of that off to  ensure a safe surgery too  , that's why the pre op diet  and it helps you  change to a more healthy  life also yes you do have follow ups for one year  after surgery   they are wonderful at weight wise in Edmonton for sure

okgal50
on 4/21/15 1:53 am

Well I guess I will just have to continue on as best I can after I meet up with them if that is whats required.  I am trying very hard right now at this moment even before appnt. to shed a few for my daughters grad. (need to dress shop!) and I know the first 20 are doable.  It's after that everything goes to hell.  Maybe it will all be the motivation I need.  Summer is usually easier for me than winter anyway!

Tara W.
on 5/3/15 1:09 am - Canada

Yes I know Red Deer like 10% loss.  And for the same reason everyone else said. To show determination and to make the surgery safer.   They work with you and have a dietitian and nutritionist that will help you out too. 

Sleeved by Dr.Menezes at Red Deer Hospital July 16th 2015

HW 315 SW 262 CW 203-month 1 -27lbs, month 2 -7lbs, month 3 -9lbs, month 4 -8lbs, month 5 -10lbs, Month 6 -0lbs (thanks Christmas), Month 7 -8lbs,

sistah3
on 5/5/15 3:31 pm

Hey Tara! Did you get a surgery date yet?

Tara W.
on 5/5/15 3:34 pm - Canada

Nope not yet!  I had my scope on the 24th. and a class today and I meet with the anesthesiologist tomorrow.  Hopefully soon!

HW 315 SW 262 CW 203-month 1 -27lbs, month 2 -7lbs, month 3 -9lbs, month 4 -8lbs, month 5 -10lbs, Month 6 -0lbs (thanks Christmas), Month 7 -8lbs,

sistah3
on 5/5/15 3:36 pm

Get to bed!;)

All good news. Shouldn't be too long now. I go back to Red Deer Friday for my 6 month follow up. So far so good.

Tara W.
on 5/5/15 3:38 pm - Canada

I'm on the train on my way home from the Flames game!  Crazy night!

sistah3
on 5/5/15 3:39 pm

True dat! We should try and get together again if your interested. Message me and we can see if we can meet up. 

Most Active