Happy 1 Year Surgiversary to Me!

michellecowles
on 6/13/15 8:30 am - Toronto, Canada
RNY on 06/13/14

Today marks EXACTLY one year from my surgery. Yes.. I had my surgery on a Friday the 13th :O. But all went well. Thinking of how I was a year ago, I never would have expected my drastic change, not only physically but mentally and emotionally. I've gone from a size 26 to a size 14. I've gone from 370lbs to 220lbs. I can fit on rollercoasters. I can sit comfortably in concert stadium seats. I went on my first plane and sat perfectly fine in a seat. I can shop anywhere..and I mean ANYWHERE. Its a challenge not to spend your money on clothes when you now have so many options. Last year coming out of surgery I was overwhelmed, and second guessed my decision, wondering, "Did I do the right thing?" Today I can say that hell-to-the-yes I did! I no longer have high blood pressure, my likelihood of getting diabetes is low and I can jog 5k..who knew?! I recently started a new position as a youth counsellor and have become the ambassador of childhood obesity at my workplace.

I would be lying if I said it was easy though. There were tears, and anger and struggles, and the good ol' plateau! I've learned and conquered along the way. And I am not even close to being done yet!

My advice? Don't ever stop eating your protein! It is your best friend and will be forever. Carbs.. those nasty carb cravings creep up on you like little ****roaches that you cant get rid of. Be mindful of your cravings and find an activity that works for you to stop them! Mine is playing my guitar. Post a reminder on your fridge door, it can be a quote a song lyric, something! Just to remind you to stay on track. Mine (you're gonna laugh) is my before picture. It reminds me everyday where I DONT want to be again.  As soon as you're cleared to go to the gym GO. Don't think about it, don't dwell on it, just GO. 

Although I'm new to the Alberta forum, I hope that you guys all support me in my journey as I will support and help you as much as I can along your journey. 

Cheers!

-Michelle

SURGERY: Jun13, 2014  Starting Weight: 370lbs, Current Weight: 198lbs, Goal Weight: 180lbs

bedtime
on 6/14/15 12:55 pm - Cold Lake, Canada

Congratulations Michelle!

sistah3
on 6/15/15 9:47 am

So pleased for you! Your transformation physically and mentally is incredibly inspiring!

ShellaB
on 6/18/15 5:38 pm

I had my VSG surgery on June 1st and for the first 24 hours, I was like "what the heck did I do" and now I am so thrilled.  Going through the motions and making things happen right now.  I started my protein diet at 338 and am now 292.  I am on my way and I couldn't be happier. 

Good job on your journey and I hope to be the same way in a year time.

Cheers!

PS.  I too have my before pics around my house ;-)

Sheezmasweetie
on 7/12/15 3:29 pm - Medicine Hat, Canada

Hi Michelle, congrats on your journey - I have had my surgery over two years ago and I am also from Toronto (Had my surgery there) - I am looking for a group and medical supports here in Alberta - Calgary actually I just moved here. Where are you located? I would love to meet some people to share this journey with, I am having some struggles right now and I would be would love some people to chat about them. Let me know :) 

Most Active