Diabetes Type 2 and surgery.

bratty_girl
on 6/23/15 11:20 pm - Canada

Hullo, I'm new here and have just been accepted into the Bariatric Program in Calgary. I start the classes in August and am looking forward to them. Does anyone here have diabetes type 2 and have had their surgery? I've heard people have had their meds greatly reduced or have completely come off them within days or weeks of their surgery date. Was just wondering if anyone has information in regards to this ?

Thanks for your time!

mornings
on 6/27/15 6:12 am - Canada

hi  yes I had my medication reduced a lot actually even  come off one of the other diabetic meds I was on so now im on just one med twice a day instead of 2 meds  4 times a day  many people do get taken down on meds  after surgery if your sugars remain lower then  they used to be and im only a month out from surgery

bratty_girl
on 6/28/15 6:50 pm - Canada

Oh that's good to hear! Congratulations! Did you have any issues controlling your sugars after the surgery? Do you think you will eventually be off all of them as you progress? 

mornings
on 6/28/15 10:15 pm - Canada

I have to say no  as I didn't even question why he put me on such a low dose and  just one  med not two ,    because I was still taking in just liquid ,  that kind of given me peace of mind because I didn't worry about  low dropping sugars  from  too much meds ,    also it helps when you put such  trust in your doctor ,   my Doctor  is a life saver  Dr Degara  was  very  trusting and very professional    I cant praise him enough  aside from saying  He given me a new life and new hope and not once have I ever second guess anything  he did  ....He definally is a hero in my  eyes ...   get to know your Doctor  it gives you such  peace of mind  

Kittycatty
on 7/1/15 7:36 am, edited 7/1/15 7:37 am

I had gastric bypass May 11/15. I have struggled since surgery with complications. However one positive is that I have eliminated, almost immediately, my high blood pressure pill and diuretic. My blood pressure is well within normal limits now. I have been Type 2 diabetic on insulin for many years. I am now only on one metformin twice a day and a small dose of lantus at night (12units) versus 90 units preop. My blood sugars are stable now although for the first two weeks they were up and down and all over the place. So yes a very positive impact on my diabetes. Sadly I've only lost 25 lbs since surgery.  

bratty_girl
on 7/1/15 3:23 pm - Canada

I'm very excited for this path I am starting on. The diabetes is a HUGE part of why I want the surgery . I'm sorry you are having complications Kitty, what are they? ( If you don't mind sharing). 

Kittycatty
on 7/2/15 8:01 pm

Sure. I spent two weeks in the hospital after surgery. I contracted CDiff while there and one of the incisions got grossly infected. 7 weeks later it is still draining but definitely getting better. I've struggled with swallowing and still have some troubles but it is better. So staying hydrated has been a challenge and eating is still difficult. I'm also still having pain at the incision site that is infected. Apparently I drew the short straw and very very few people go through what I have. I have been v depressed about it but finally can see the benefits of the surgery. I'm certain your experience will be better. I had the surgery to lose weight but also to help out my diabetes. I'm very happy about the result of the decrease in meds. Best of luck!! Please let us know how it goes. 

bratty_girl
on 7/2/15 8:46 pm - Canada

Wow, quite the ordeal. I had surgery a couple of years ago and at one point I had a permanent tube and bag installed fir drainage. There was a miss communication between my doctors and a stitch was left behind that abcessed and caused necrosis. That was a pain in the ass. So I can relate ;)  Im not on insulin right now , pills. But insulin is right around the corner. I'm hoping to avoid it all together and have the surgery before that point. So pleased to see that both of you noticed changes so quickly! I have a long ways to go.

mljohns
on 7/2/15 8:32 pm
DS on 01/27/15

I had the SADI loop s urge to on 1/27/15. After surgery my blood sugar was at 180. They gave me some insulin. That was the last time I had insulin! I was on a pump witn 5X concentration for five years. And shots before that.  Usual waking number is from 85-90. The surgery worked!

Most Active