Post Surgery Weight Loss Numbers

Bpayne
on 8/27/15 2:23 pm - Canada

So, I have a question for others that are post op. 

I was on the liquid diet 2 weeks before surgery. I lost 6 lbs on each of the two weeks pre-surgery. 

Week 1 post op I lost 8 lbs, week 2 I lost 11 lbs and week 3 (last week) I lost 5 lbs. 

I weigh myself on Tuesdays because I had surgery Tuesday morning. 

I'm wondering if anyone else noticed such strange numbers so early on. I was more under the impression that numbers would be high and more steady the first few months. Especially since I have had so much trouble eating. 

Has anyone else had weird numbers that alternated between larger and smaller numbers between weeks? Early on? Later?

Thanx

MissNexxie
on 8/27/15 9:56 pm
VSG on 04/30/14

My weight loss was very stair-step in nature.  3 low weeks and then Bam! the week before my period I would drop 3-4 lbs.  It went on like that pretty much for the year I was in weight loss mode.  There is no 'right' way for the losses to happen.  Each of our bodies is individual so you have to get accustomed to how it operates.  You may have periods of stalls for a week or two and then another sudden drop.  I was never a HIGH loser and always read about these 11 lb per week losses for multiple months .  I never had that.   First few weeks was around 6 lbs per week then it slowed down to averaging 10 lbs per month.  For me personally (speaking only for myself) I had to increase my calories to keep up with the weight loss.  If I ate too little my body stopped losing.  I have always emphasized high protein and low carb (veggies, berries and greek yogurt for the most part) and it's worked for me.  If I eat things like bread, pasta, rice, popcorn two things happen: 1. my weight loss basically stops and 2. it triggers my food/carb addiction like crazy.

don't sweat it if it seems inconsistent, this is not a steady type of thing and your body will stop and take a breather now and again.

Good luck.  You got this!

Surgery: April 30, 2014: HW: 288 SW: 250 Achieved Goal 149 lbs: April 8, 2015 CW: 158 lbs (working on losing 65 lb regain as of June 1, 2021. Weight was at 215 lbs). Fighting every darn day!

MissNexxie
on 8/28/15 5:36 am
VSG on 04/30/14

Also, I wanted to add that it's important on this journey to track your success in other ways besides the scale. Did you meet your calorie budget today, get in all your protein, water? Did I exercise today? Do a bit of journalling?

I applaud that you weigh only once per week, it will help you to focus on other parts of the journey. I made the same commitment because in the past I've always weighed daily and it really tortured me. It really helped me to not obsess. Last point: if you read the boards, you'll see that stalls/slowdowns can occur every 6 weeks or so, and its normal.

Surgery: April 30, 2014: HW: 288 SW: 250 Achieved Goal 149 lbs: April 8, 2015 CW: 158 lbs (working on losing 65 lb regain as of June 1, 2021. Weight was at 215 lbs). Fighting every darn day!

Bpayne
on 8/28/15 8:33 pm - Canada

Thank you so much for your responses.

I suppose I knew inside of me that all of our bodies are different, which is clearly shown by how my new stomach has not really lived up to exactly what my dietitian is asking for at all times. I guess it's just helpful to have someone else tell me the same thing. And to know that they have experienced the same things. So I really appreciate the detailed response. 

And you are right about thinking about other successes. I am weighing myself once a week on Tuesday mornings, I also measure myself. I keep track of my food and water with Fitnesspal and I am blogging about my experiences as well. 

I am not exercising yet. When I spoke to Dr. Birch he said to wait another couple of weeks because of some of the complications I experienced. However, I really am looking forward tog getting back to the gym. 

The idea that you have to increase calories or food intake to keep losing weight has occurred to. I was thinking about it today when I thought about returning to the gym and doing 1 hour of cardio. My body will need me to get more food in. I am hoping over time, like I have been told that more and more food will go. I am at about 600 calories a day right now. I am getting between 70 and 80 grams of protein in. And about 6 cups of water a day. 

MissNexxie
on 8/28/15 9:25 pm
VSG on 04/30/14

Definitely listsn and follow your doctor's orders. Always. Do not push the gym thing before you're cleared. Walking is juyst as good.  Also, you might want to up your water to 8 glasses per day. Dehydration is a real possibility with the sleeve and not a road you want to travel.

For tracking non scale victories, in addition to measurements, take photos. I do it every 2- 3 months, full body, pretty much same style clothes and in the same location. It was only in looking at those progressive photos that I saw the changes. Keep up the good work!

Bpayne
on 8/28/15 9:58 pm - Canada

I had the Gastric bypass. I am trying really hard to get my water up. I have struggled with a very heavy full tight feeling since surgery. I am working my way through it. You are right, I need to get my water intake up. Today I decided to make 0 calorie home made popsicles hoping that it would help. I will see in a few days.

I will take pictures too. Scary. LOL

Thank you for your kind words and support. 

Most Active