Southern Alberta

Hey_Jude
on 10/2/15 8:11 pm

Hello, are there any clinics in southern Alberta that do bariatric surgery? Also, is it covered by Alberta Health care? Is there a website where you can go to get information?

Thanks,

Jude

bedtime
on 10/3/15 1:47 pm - Cold Lake, Canada

Hello Jude

Bariatric surgery is covered under Alberta health but you have to go thru their clinic and a referral is needed from your doc. tjis is the referral for your doc needs to fill out and send. http://www.albertahealthservices.ca/frm-18668.pdf

Its a long process. In Edm it took 8 months from the time the referral was received complete and correct to get you first appt. Then its a good year of appts from dietition, Psychologist, internist, Psychiatrist, nurse, surgeon, ect. Then its a year from the time they all sigh you off for surgery till the actual surgery. Edm is a busy clinic so Medicine Hat may not be as long of a wait.

If you chose to go out of country Alberta health will cover a portion of the cost of surgery only (1500 ish) with the proper paperwork.

Hope this helps

Terry

Geminidawn
on 1/25/16 7:14 pm

Hi Terry,

I am considering going to Mexico. I require a revision to my original surgery. I tried the revision clinic in Edmonton but on Friday the surgeon told me wouldn't do it. Anyway, do you know where I would find info about AHC coverage for it. I know they cover revisions to gastric bypass but I didn't know if they still did if it was done out of the country. Thanks. 

MissNexxie
on 10/5/15 8:31 am
VSG on 04/30/14

There is also a clinic in Calgary and you need a referral form from your doctor. It's the Calgary Adult Bariatric clinic. It's on the AHS site but is not the Weight Wise form. Timeframe is about the same as Edmonton and is easily filled with the needed classes and appointments. They are more valuable than you can imagine. If you are accepted and meet the requirements for surgery and mandatory appointments surgical costs are covered by AHS.

Surgery: April 30, 2014: HW: 288 SW: 250 Achieved Goal 149 lbs: April 8, 2015 CW: 158 lbs (working on losing 65 lb regain as of June 1, 2021. Weight was at 215 lbs). Fighting every darn day!

TRACEYLYNN
on 10/12/15 7:27 pm - Calgary, Canada

There is a clinic in Red Deer as well. But you need your Dr. to referr you to what ever one you want to go..That is if you are going through AHC. If you go to Mexico and paying out of pocket its completely different and you dont need a Dr. referral

Tracey Dick-Olson

Out_Going_One
on 10/31/15 9:48 pm - Calgary, Canada

How Southern are you look at? There is one in Medicine Hat, Calgary. Those are the only ones that I know of.

Medicine Hat Clinic http://www.albertahealthservices.ca/services.asp?pid=service &rid=1060376

Calgary Clinic http://www.albertahealthservices.ca/services.asp?pid=service &rid=1008786

Hope this help.

Sleeved by Dr.Debru at Peter Lougheed Hospital, Calgary, AB on January 7, 2016

HW 283 SW 271.5 CW 222  GW 180

Most Active