What about after weight loss?

scochrane86
on 3/16/16 2:20 pm

I am so inspired by some of the success stories on here and I cannot wait to start my own journey.

I am interested in what people are doing with their "post weight loss bodies", the weight loss is obviously quicker than a "normal" diet so I would think there is an abundance of extra skin.... are tummy tucks or whatnot something people normally go with once the program is finished? What does something like that cost?

TrulyPhoenix
on 3/18/16 5:57 pm - Calgary, Canada

You'll have the same amount of skin regardless of how you lose the weight, but it takes about 2 years for the body to fully adjust and tighten your skin as much as it can.  After that point you'll know just how much excess skin you're left with.

Some people choose to get a panni/tummy tuck as soon as they reach their goal, but a lot of surgeons will require you maintain that weight for at least a year.  Alberta health usually only covers a panni (just the skin below the belly button), however there's a few doctors in the province who can do a fleur-de-lis (tummy tuck) and have it covered.  If you want to pay out of pocket, it really depends on where you go and what exactly is needed... can be anywhere from 5k to 25k, and even more if you want multiple procedures

I'm still pre-op but am very surprised at how well my skin has been keeping up so far.  I do a lot of weight training and so the muscle tone helps keep my arms from looking like empty sacks of skin lol.  Once I'm at goal I plan to still wait the full 2 years before I go through the painful process/recovery of skin removal surgery, as I want to give my body a chance to do whatever it can on it's own :)

Bpayne
on 6/10/16 6:30 pm - Canada

I am just over 10 months post op.  I have lost 140 pounds. I am about 30-ish away from goal. At my ten month appointment my nurse recommended she submit my referral to the plastics doctor they use through the RAH. I was relived, this was 2 months sooner than I was expecting. She recommended that I also have my doctor submit referrals to other plastics doctors because there is no harm to be on multiple wait lists. 

You mentioned in this post that you know some doctors in Alberta will do the fleur-de-lis (tummy tuck) and can get it covered. Where did you find this out? Where can I obtain these names?

TrulyPhoenix
on 6/18/16 3:03 pm - Calgary, Canada

It's just come up with all the research I've done over the past year for VSG and skin removal.  Dr. Nohr in Medicine Hat is the main one that comes up, and I don't think the one in Edmonton is accepting any new patients.  It sounds like there is a new doctor in Edmonton, and possibly one in Red Deer that are starting to do it.  They are general surgeons, so this may be why in some cases they're able to do a full tummy tuck and it not be considered cosmetic surgery.

Excellenceisme
on 1/29/17 3:04 am - Edmonton, AB

Is it also free for the patients who did their Surgery in Mexico

Most Active