How long until surgery?

Pond Jumper
on 1/12/17 7:10 am - Calgary, Canada
VSG on 07/10/17

I previously posted this in the main VSG forum, but it was pointed out it would make more sense to post here.

I've been on the Weight Wise program in Calgary since late summer and I'm itching to get my new tool. I've had appointments with the RN, RD, and had my Psych eval and everyone is really happy with my progress so far, and have given their go ahead. I've got a followup appointment with the dietician next week to check that I'm getting enough protein (I wasn't getting anywhere near the daily recommended amount) and they've booked me for a surgery info session at the beginning of February.

What else is there to do? The team seem to make appointments on a monthly basis so I'm trying to work out how many months I might have before meeting the surgeon, and moving on to an op date.

Is there anything else I should be doing now, in preparation of whats to come?

Referral to CABSC: Aug 2016 (weight 267.4lbs) Orientation (Online): Sept 2016 Intake Assessment: Oct 2016 Nutritionist: Nov 2016 Psych: Dec 2016 Nutritionist: Jan 2017 Surgery Info Class: Feb 2017 Nurse Practitioner: Feb 2017 Meet the Surgeon: Mar 2017 (weight 225lbs) Surgery Prep Class: April 2017 Nurse Practitioner Check in: May 2017 (weight 221lbs) Endoscope: May17th 2017 Surgery: July 10th 2017

Pre-op: 52lbs; Post-op: M1: 14lbs, M2: 10lbs, M3: 5lbs, M4: 6lbs, M5: 2lbs (stall), M6: 4lbs, M7: 5lbs, M8:6lbs, M9:5lbs, M10:4lbs, M11:4lbs

Tempestt
on 1/14/17 9:31 pm
VSG on 09/07/16

I went through Edmonton, so I don't know how long the Calgary clinic takes. 

Have you taken the 10 Weight wise courses? I don't know how regularly they are offered in Calgary.  Try Googling them, or ask at your next appt. 

Are you journaling? I use Myfitnesspal. 

Sleeve September 7, 2016

5' 3"; Highest Weight/Program Start Weight: 256.6 lbs.; Surgery Weight: 214.6 lbs. Goal Weight: 145

"A year from now you will wish you started today." - Karen Lamb

Pond Jumper
on 1/15/17 9:59 am - Calgary, Canada
VSG on 07/10/17

Hi Tempestt,

Yes I  took all their courses online, so I was finished before my initial intake assessment. I've also been journaling daily since the start. I started with another online journal but quickly found MyFitnessPal much better.

I'll ask then what hoops are left next week, everyone's journey is slightly different I guess.

Tempestt
on 1/15/17 2:29 pm
VSG on 09/07/16

HI Jane, 

Yes, they are definitely different journeys. I was referred in May 2014, but the referral had issues and didn't go through until July 2014. I first got in to clinic on July 2015.  I signed for surgery March 2016 and had surgery September 7th. Are you hoping for RNY or Sleeve?

Tempestt

Sleeve September 7, 2016

5' 3"; Highest Weight/Program Start Weight: 256.6 lbs.; Surgery Weight: 214.6 lbs. Goal Weight: 145

Klzimm88
on 10/26/17 8:44 pm - Spruce Grove, AB

Hello, can I ask where you took them online?

Jenn_1981
on 1/16/17 7:08 pm

I have been in the program just over a year. Because I was an out of town refereal they ordered me tests everytime I saw them..which I did right away. Had my surgeon consult in June and was approved for surgery. They told me 14 months until surgery..I went in for a follow up and she pointed out I am 5 months away and time is going go by quick...and I will probably get my call very soon.

Pond Jumper
on 1/17/17 8:19 am - Calgary, Canada
VSG on 07/10/17

Good luck Jenn!

This time between referral and surgery is frustrating, but at the same time I know it's getting my head in the place it needs to be. I've already been told they don't foresee me needing an endoscope or additional tests, so I'm just going through the motions. I've an appointment with my dietician on Monday so I'll ask what is still to come.

Jenn_1981
on 1/20/17 6:47 am

I thought so too! But when I look back it has gone quick! I've started to get ready and have been preparing. Leslie who I see in Grande Prairie told me it's going go super quick now. I have a feeling I may get my call after April, when is my next set appointments. But I see the nurse this time. ?  My advice is being compliant. Do the tests as quick as you can and get them their results. Everyone in Edmonton have to do scopes.... when I went for my consult they were handing them out like crazy to everyone. I had mine done all on my own cause I had an insider tip that they would ask. Lol

Tempestt
on 1/20/17 8:42 pm
VSG on 09/07/16

No scope for me.  But yes, compliance definitely seems to speed up the process. I had taken all of the Weight Wise courses prior to getting in to the clinic. When you look back, it really doesn't seem that long. I just wish I had done it earlier in my life, like in my 20s or 30s, not my 40s.  

Sleeve September 7, 2016

Jenn_1981
on 1/22/17 11:57 am

Oh I completely agree! I usually am not much of a patient person to begin with and the waiting kills me ?

Most Active