Lap Band in Mexico

Jamie H.
on 1/12/06 3:02 pm - Calgary, Canada
Hey guys, I had the Lap Band done in Mexico Aug 1 2005. Currently I am down 50 pounds, and just had a fill. If anyone has any questions, feel free to post them here, or Email them to [email protected] I live in calgary. I know how tough it was to find info on this, so I am glad to help. Its been a hard trip so far, but most worth it! Thanks Jamie
shadow
on 1/13/06 4:53 am - Canada
Hi Jamie, I am wondering why you decided to go to Mexico to have the lap band? Was it expensive? I have heard that they are using the lap band on RNY patients who may not have lost all the weight they may have wanted to after surgery? Who will take care of your band now that you are home? If you have a problem will you have to go back to Mexico for treatment? How did you decide on your surgeon? Cheri
Jamie H.
on 1/13/06 8:49 am - Calgary, Canada
Hi Cheri. I went to Mexico, because #1 I couldn't find a great deal of experience with the lap band here in Canada. The USA was way to expensive, so Mexico came to mind. Sure I had some misgivings about MEXICO, but after doing some research, I was confident about the safety Standards I used Dr Joya, out of Puerto Vallarta. The cost was $8,000 us and included your flight down. I can't find anyone here in Alberta that does fills, so I went to Vegas to have it done. I guess if I did I have a problem, I would have to go back to Mexico, but I haven't so far, and the vast majority don't have a problem either. I like the lap band because its totally reversible and somewhat adjustable. I picked my surgeon by doing LOTS of net research, I talked to few people, and talked with his office. I would recommend this to anyone, you don't have to wait, the cost is high (it seems), but manageable (Considering the other outcomes). You could phone up today and have this done in a week or 2. Feel free to ask any other questions Jamie
MLM
on 1/24/06 6:48 am - Quebec City, Canada
I'm curious as to where you looked that you didn't find any doctors here in Canada with experience? Cause I have heard of quite a few doctors in Canada that do it, and have alot of experience. Granted, you're not going to get it for $8000 US, so that's a bonus, but maybe something to keep in mind for your fills, instead of going to Vegas.
Jamie H.
on 1/24/06 8:50 am - Calgary, Canada
MM. I searched long and hard for this info. (Spring 05) at that time, not one doctor surfaced here in Canada. How ever just before I left to go down, I did run across one in Ontario. By that time, it was to late. My decision had been made, and I was booking airline tickets. As far as going to Ontario for a fill as compared to going to Vegas.. HAHAHAHA Seriously, the flights are cheap, and I am 2 3/4 hours away. What do they charge for a person to have this surgery done in Ontario? Do you know the cost of fills? How long are the waiting lists? Thanks for replying Jamie
MLM
on 1/24/06 12:59 pm - Quebec City, Canada
There's others I believe, but to name a few: Dr's Yau and Joffe www.tlbc.ca , Dr. Christou www.weightlosssurgery.ca, Dr. Leung in Vancouver, all of which I've been told have been doing this since 2001. There's also a Dr. Cobourn in Toronto, http://www.obesitysurgery.ca (may be more, but I can't recall off hand) It seems that the average is about $15,000 for the lapband. Yau & Joffe have free lifetime fills for their patients, and I think it's $2500 for lifetime fills, if you're not a patient. For his patients, after the first 'free' year, Dr. Cobourn is $100/fill .. don't know about if you're not his patient. The wait for banding seems to be about 1-2 months from referral, guess it just depends on how quick you get your pre-testing done. I also saw on Yau & Joffe's website that if you live far away, and would prefer to have your own doctor do your fills, you can get a CDRom that would instruct your doctor how to do the fills himself.... which is kinda cool. How much are you paying in Vegas for your fills? And hey! i'm not knockin' it... it's a good excuse to go to Vegas , but I was just letting you know there are alternatives, if you want them.
MLM
on 1/25/06 7:32 am - Quebec City, Canada
Ahhh... just heard from a lady who said this : "There is a doctor in Calgary that does fills! His name is Dr. Phillip Mitchell 403-264-6720 ($100. fill) I connected with a gal from B.C. and she got her surgery in Mexico for $8,000. USD. She had nothing but good things to say about the clinic. She went there because of the cost savings, and comes to Calgary for her fills." So there ya go.
Jamie H.
on 2/1/06 3:21 am - Calgary, Canada
MM Thanks for the info. Its nice to know someone here in Calgary. I appreciate the help Jamie
Carolyn W.
on 3/18/06 8:11 am - Edmonton, Canada
Dr. Davey and Dr. Birch in Edmonton also do the Gastric Banding procedure. Their clinic is the only place you can get it done under Alberta Health Care. They are doing a study to see if this is a viable alternative for other provinces to offer under their health care as well. Don't know if they deal with patients that aren't theirs. But would be worth looking into maybe. Carolyn "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me." - Carol Burnett.
penny1
on 9/28/06 12:11 am - vulcan, Canada
do you have phone number for dr davey and dr birch... would like to have it done in canda if possible but hoping not a long wait.. thanx for any info...myrna mathews
Most Active