Newbie and debating RNY or Lap Band

ThomasWifey76
on 6/9/11 1:43 am - AK
Hey y'all!!! My name is Samantha and I am 34 yrs old.  We are stationed at Ft Richardson Alaska.  I've been between overweight and obese for about 8 years now. I recently had my referral approved through Tricare to see Dr. Searles here in Anchorage Alaska. I've done every diet known to man and even some crazy ones seen in magazines. Nothing seems to be helping and have been researching and talking with people who have had the surgery. So I hoping with the help of Lap Band or RNY, exercise and nutrition I will be headed in the right direction of a healthier beautiful me.

Is there anyone who else out there who is or close to 4' 11 with a bmi close to 46, that has had RNY?  I've done so much research on the two surgeries that the surgeon does, I think I may have brain overload.  Any input as to why you chose RNY over Lap Band, or vice versa would be greatly appreciated.
AKSteveB
on 6/10/11 6:05 pm - Anchorage, AK
Hey there.  The AK forum tends to be on the slow side.  I live in Anchorage, and went down South (to Mayo Clinic) to do the RNY, but also met Dr. Searles and do think highly of him.  When you meet him, you will go over the pros and cons of each surgery to figure out which ... if either would be the thing for you.  A lot will depend on your medical history and your goals.  You should join the RNY and Lap Band forums, and you will find lots of folks to answer your questions.  I will say, at 4'11'' with a pretty high bmi, ..were it me, I'd probably be leaning towards the RNY.  I'd also give the Duodenal Switch some thought as well.
Carol S.
on 6/17/11 5:21 am, edited 6/17/11 5:22 am - Milwaukee, WI
 Hi Samantha, Dr. Searles did my surgery when he worked with Dr. Todd and he was wonderful.

I had RNY because at the time ABC was not doing bands.  I agree that you should talk to Dr. Searles about RNY or the DS.  I have several online friends who are so happy with their DS and have not had some of the struggles I had/have with my RNY.

Feel free to ask me any more questions.  I am  a military wife too (Coast Guard) and lived in Ketchikan at the time and traveled to Anchorage for my surgery.  I live on Oregon now (well for now) but am so grateful for Dr. Searles and ABC.

Welcome!
Carol

SW/276 CW 150 GW 185

9 Years out.

LilnAK
on 7/10/11 3:05 am
Hi Samantha! My name is Lillian. My husband is retired Army. Our last duty station was Ft. Richardson and we decided to retire in the area.
I had RNY done on May 12, 2011. Dr. Searles was my surgeon. I'm not sure what my BMI was but I am 5'2" and weighed 242 lbs when I started this process.

Going into this, I was determined I would have lap band because it was less invasive with a faster recovery time. People pointed out many negative aspects about the lap band to me: the weight loss isn't as fast, band erosion, having something foreign in my body, but I was determined to have the lap band. That all changed during my testing. One of the tests showed a gall stone and Dr. Searles recommended removing my gall bladder. Unfortunately, when a patient is doing lap band, he will remove the gall bladder and then wait a month to do the WLS. I had never had surgery and didn't know how I would react. What if it was a negative experience for me? Would I want to have another surgery 4 weeks later? Just as I was feeling better after the first surgery? Then I was told that if I do the RNY, he could remove the gall bladder at the same time. I did some more research and searched myself and decided I would rather do one surgery instead of two. So I had RNY done. I won't lie and tell you it's been easy because there are days that it's been pure hell. I miss being able to eat whatever I want. I miss eating bread (in my head it still tastes good but the few bites I've taken don't taste as good as I remember) but I believe in the end it will definitely be worth it.

I suggest you do your research, take the advice people give with a grain of salt and listen to yourself and do whichever feels right to you.

Good luck
 Just when the caterpillar thought the world was over, it became a butterfly - Anonymous    
ThomasWifey76
on 7/10/11 3:58 am - AK
Thank you for everyones responses.  Sorry for just getting back with y'all.  I have been crazy busy with my kids and summer, also my husband has gone to the field a lot with the military. 

So I have now completed all my tests and all the results are now in Dr. Searles hands.  Between all the tests and all of my reading, talking to Dr. Searles and research I have decided that RNY is the best for me.  For once my heart and mind agree!!  I can't thank you all enough for your honesty and support.  It truly has meant a lot to me. 

Lillian I am also having a hiatal hernia repaired at the same time I have RNY. 
jennak88
on 7/13/11 7:59 pm - Anchorage, AK
AHH, I know I am going to California, for my possible RNY or Gastric Sleeve. There is a possiblity for October or November 2011.  A much needed vacation, I geuss, I have been saving my leave time. So i have it covered.

Long story why. I am just so happy and excited about it. I just have left is blood work.

I know about the guys being in the feild I have a few people there.
dkwilliams1
on 7/26/11 10:55 am - AK
congratulations !!! you are in GREAT hands !!! Dr. Searles is awesome. I'm glad you didn't go for the lap band- so much contraversy over that, besides it does not work that well.  Good for you !!!! 
Debra Williams (had my RNY with Dr. Searles @ 4 months ago)

ThomasWifey76
on 7/27/11 2:45 am - AK
I'm scared and nervous but not about the surgery.  3 days of my husband being in charge of cleaning and cooking scares me lol.  I told my son I will make and freeze 10 days worth of food that he can heat up for him and his sister.  My husband is a grill master but that's about it and he can make some awesome scrambled eggs lol.

I am also really glad I decided on RNY.  I feel better about it everyday.  I've heard nothing but great things about Dr. Searles and I love his staff.  They have been so helpful and informative!!  Congrats on your weightloss!!
dkwilliams1
on 7/27/11 6:09 am - AK
thanks so much !!! if you're in Anchorage, we should hang out !!!! 

jennak88
on 7/28/11 7:13 pm - Anchorage, AK

Hi, I am finally scheduled for surgery, October 25, 2011, So I will be leaving Alaska on October 23,2011. I am going to California for my Surgery. Dr. Alan Wittgrove is doing my surgery.

Ohh, one good thing, is  I did get approved for my leave, I just need to fill out some forms for FMLA.

In the mean time, my food will consist of  Protien Meal  Replacement shake and Lean cuisines or a low calorie, ie.. chicken and veggies. I still need to buy the meal stuff. I should be on it by the 2nd week of August, 2011. I was told this helps your liver get ready for surgery.

Would be fun to meet some of you. I do work at night.

Most Active