Need advice please.. what would you guys do?

Jennifer B.
on 5/15/08 12:22 pm - Townley, AL
Hi all. I have been away awhile trying to get a computer to actually work for longer than a hour. I hope you all are doing well and had fun at the reunion. My question is this... I have a chance to get my surgery done quicker and for less $$ (which is the hold up for me) if I switch from using Dr. Dewitt (who I like very much) to Dr. Matthews (who I also like). I'm comfortable with both Dr.s but I don't want Dr Dewitt and his staff to feel.. whats the right word... misled?? by my change. I am done with my 7 month visits to my regular Dr. and if I stick with Dr. Dewitt I will have to get a pap from my gyno and meet the dietiticion and a pyshical therapist plus an eval. If I go with Dr. Matthews then all I have to do is meet with the dietitcion and thats it. I can have my surgery quickier and for less $$ which is ideal for me. I do not work and my family lives on 1 income. So getting extra $$ is very hard for us. So.. What would you do? Thanks for any help you can give me. Have a wonderful weekend!
beforeandafter6-9-09.jpg image by jennismurf205
Surgery date: Aug. 28, 2008.  Start weight 489 -  Current weight on March 29th 2009 368 - Goal weight 180 
Have lost 145 pounds so far.
EJFROG2006
on 5/15/08 1:21 pm - AL
Well I would stick with the first one. Other people say Dr. Dewitt is very good.  You know whats best for you, saving money or the best care. Ellen

weeds.gif picture by firefly58

Skydancer
on 5/15/08 2:15 pm - Tuscaloosa, AL
If you started with Dr. DeWitt, I would tell him what was going on and let him help you make that decision.  He cannot offer you a better deal unless he knows that there is one out there.  You have heard from many people on this board, who believe that Dr. DeWitt is one of the best.  He was not my dr., but I have heard nothing but good things about him. 

I would check out the people who have had Dr. Matthews and what kind of problems and support they had following surgery.  Then I would make my decision. 

My thought is that from what I hear about Dr. DeWitt, he will work with you if he can.  Of course, he has expenses, too and while it is hard for us to understand, Drs. are just as strapped for cash as the rest of us.  It is not inexpensive to run a private practice and to pay all of those salaries of nurses, hospital fees, malpractice insurance, receptionists, and a million little costs that the hospital and clinics tag on for drs.  However, there may be  away that he can help you or work with you to get what you need...you do owe him the chance to try to work with you.  If he cannot, and you find that Dr. Matthews has good to excellent outcomes, then it is to your advantage to use him.

http://www.sparklee.com - glitter text
happy girl
on 5/15/08 8:26 pm - Pensacola, FL
There's the DR. of the Bama board!!!!  How are you???  I sure do appreciate your wealth of knowledge and your connections Karla!!!  I appreciate you getting answers for me this week!  You are one awesome Lady! 

ShirleyG
on 5/15/08 8:52 pm - HALFWAY BETWEEN ATLANTA AND BHAM , AL

I agree with you Karla ....Never choose something SIMPLY because of price...Sometimes you really do get what you pay for but I do understand when their is only one income too . I wanted to chime in and say that I too appreciate reading all the helpful info you contribute to the board as well . Shirley

R. c
on 5/15/08 3:51 pm - nashville, TN
I agree with the others. I would at least try to speak to Dr. Dewitt and let him know what is going on. Perhaps there is some way that ya'll could work something out.
~* Rosie *~      2-16-10  

(deactivated member)
on 5/15/08 9:09 pm - Midland City, AL
As one that has to live on a very tight budget I can appreciate where you are coming from.  Investigate Dr Matthews thoroughly to see if any of his patients have had major  complications and what their status was before surgery.  Talk with Dr Dewitt/Staff and explain your financial situation.  Karla pointed out about the expenses which is a very good point.  Once you have all of the information you can let your heart guide you as to which surgeon you think is best for you.
fillisg
on 5/15/08 10:01 pm - Belmont, MS
I am one of Dr. DeWitt's pt's. He is an awesome doctor and person. I have nothing but prasises to sing for him and his staff. I have a friend who used him and later had to have her gb removed. Between the time he did her RNY and her gb surgery, she had gotten into a financial bind due to divorce and no insurance. I know he worked with her. Speak with him, he might do the same for you. He is a GREAT doctor. I do not know anyone who has used Dr. Mathews, check around for people who have. Dr. DeWitt only has your best interest in mind, I know.  Best of luck!

Phyllis
LAP RNY 7/7/06
Highest    Current     Goal
292             157           140

"I can do all things through Christ which gives me strength" Philippians 4:13

Most Active