please vote here

wendy_fou
on 12/22/11 1:24 pm - AR
Please vote for my son's essay at the link below so he can have a shot at winning this scholarship.

http://www.wyzant.com/scholarships/v2/essay29997-Jessieville -AR.aspx

Thanks!
fatnomore1953
on 12/31/11 4:16 am - Conway, AR
 Wendy,   Good to see that you are still posting.  I had my Roux n Y in October of 2007.  I lost 130 lbs.  I have gained 7 lbs back.  I need to get back on the wagon again.  How much are you eating now?  Are you still only eating 1/4 cup?  
Marti

wendy_fou
on 12/31/11 6:11 am - AR
I haven't eaten 1/4 cup (which is only 4 tablespoons) since a few months out.  I maxed out at one HALF cup.  I still eat only 1/2 cup, but I do occassionally go over it if it food that chews down to be less than 1/2 cup (lettuce, some cereals, etc chew down to almost nothing volume wise).

At about my 3 year mark, I started to slightly regain (which I somewhat expected since at about 3 years out the body has mostly compensated for the caloric malabsorption - NOT THE VITAMIN PART - but the CALORIES part).  Since I weight once a week, I noticed the regain even though it was very slow.

I decreased my calories from 1650 per day to 1550 per day.  Now I have leveled off at around 133 (up from about 127 that I was when I was about 1650 before my body finishing compensating and started absorbing more).  I had a comfort zone of 125 - 130 pounds and when I was sure I had gained above that (and it wasn't just some water-weight or poopy-filled fluke, I adjusted my calories down by 100.  I still didn't LOSE back down to the 125 - 130 pound range which was honestly hard to accept at first.  But I didn't want to cut my calories any more than that and I'm at a good weight around 133.  So I forced myself to readjust by "comfort zone" in my mind to 130 - 135 pounds (which is still well within my ideal body weight).  I'd just be lying if I said that wasn't hard.  But if I ever gain to above 135, I will decrease my calories to 1500 (or start exercising which i NEVER do).  But so far, I'm maintaining well. 

So as far as how I eat now, I eat 1550 calories per day, 4 meals per day (each approximately 4 hours apart throughout the day).  I drink lots of water (usually 120 ounces or so) since I want to eat more if I don't.  I still keep my fat % between 20 - 30% calories from fat the way DR Baker advises.  I try to keep my carbs at about 180 or so to make sure I always have enough energy without getting too many where I start retaining fluids.  Protein stays way up there (usually in the 120 - 130 gram range, which is actually a little too high for as far out as I am - I need to rearrange a little to work on lowering that).

Just stop the gain NOW.  Don't wait and don't make excuses for yourself.  You CAN do it.  But don't let it creep up more than it already has.  If you're like me, you didn't GAIN it overnight; you won't REGAIN it overnight either.  So don't let it sneak back up a pound at a time.  You CAN stop it NOW I know you can! 

Good luck and good to hear from you!

Wen
fatnomore1953
on 12/31/11 11:26 pm - Conway, AR

Wendy,

THANK YOU SO MUCH for your response.  You are a life saver.  I have been eating around a 1/2 cup of food but i thought that I Courtney had said to keep it at 1/4 cup...which I thought was unreasonable. 

I have basically the same philosophy as you do regarding maintenance...I am 5'7".  When I first had surgery my goal weight was 150.  I just naturally got down to 132...which was low even by my standards.  I weighed 135 when I was in my 30's.  As time when on I stablized at 135 and I was happy.  I mostly watched my portion sizes and tried to get as much protein as possible.  I really didn't count calories, protein grams, etc.  I don't weigh often but I said that if I got to 140 that I was in the 'danger zone'.  Well, I've made it to 140 so I've got to get back on track.  What bothers me the the most is what and how I am eating.  Some of those bad eating behaviors are creeping back in....and that is the cause of the problem.. the # on the scale is just the symptom! 

thanks for the details around the calories, protein, etc.  That will help me a BUNCH. 

BTW...I voted for your son's essay.  It was really good.  Good luck with the scholarship. 

Marti

wendy_fou
on 1/1/12 1:08 am - AR
Thanks!!!
Sybul C.
on 2/11/12 11:37 pm - Alma, AR
Done.  It is a good essay. 

wendy_fou
on 2/12/12 12:21 am - AR
Thanks!
Most Active