Newbie that needs advice

creationsbykim
on 5/13/11 6:38 am - Tempe, AZ
Hey AZ peeps,

I am in Tempe and just joined yesterday.  My PCP doctor told me I should have WLS but wants me to say away from the band, she recommended Dr. Blackstone as my WLS doctor.

I am still researching the different types of surgery, DS, RNY etc.
I would love to hear stories from anyone willing to share their experience and what made you choice which WLS to have.

I am 40, at 290#'s, and am 5'5, with BMI at 48.3.  I don't think my insurance company will pay, I have Blue Cross of AZ.  I think there is an exclusion, but checking it out.

Thanks in advance for your help!
beckipoohbear
on 5/13/11 8:54 am - AZ
Welcome to the boards and your journey.  I had RNY 3 years ago (wow I can't believe it's been that long) with Blackstone's office.  It was truthfully the best decision I ever made for myself.  I knew I wanted the RNY and not the lapband and since I didn't have a huge amount to lose, I didn't feel the DS necessary.  I know Blackstone's office has also started doing a lot more VSGs recently so you may want to explore that option as well.

Good luck and I'm here if you have any questions.

Rebecca
3  1/2 Marathons down!!! Getting ready to try a marathon!
Day of surgery - 252.5 Highest weight - 269 Goal weight - 134, reached!!

StephOinAZ
on 6/3/11 6:21 am
Hello :) and welcome to the world of WLS.

I had Dr. Blackstone when I got my lap-band.  She is a very skilled surgeon and I like her a lot.  The lap-band did not work for me at all, but I don't blame that on her in any way.  I am getting my band taken out and I am revising to the DS.  If you check out the revision board on here you'll find that MOST people are switching to the DS from both lap-band and gastric bypass, but you won't find any DS's switching to anything else.  The DS is the most aggressive WLS you can get, it works fast and has a MUCH lower failure rate than the RNY (40% and up with the RNY, 3% with the DS).  I am not starting a surgery war...I believe each surgery is good for different people and their goals.  Dr. Blackstone has recently (November '10) been trained to do the DS and has done a few of them.  I believe she is very skilled and would do a fine job.  I'm going through a different surgeon because of surgery scheduling conflicts. 

Please feel free to PM me if you want to know more about my experience, or check out  my blog.  My experience is not everyone's though... so only take it for what it is.  The biggest choice between the RNY and the DS is this...do you need something to help you stay on a diet?? Then get the RNY.  Do you need something that allows you to eat normal sized portions (after about a year, year and a half) and normal foods and still not gain weight?  Then get the DS. 

Whatever you do---RESEARCH RESEARCH RESEARCH!!!  Don't get a surgery until you know everything about all of your options!  That's the mistake I made.

I also have BC/BS of AZ and my insurance plan did cover WLS :)

Good luck!
Most Active