Arizona follow up after surgery in Mexico

Buttercup2012
on 10/30/11 9:41 am
I posted this on the main VSG board.  I'm wondering for those of you that had surgery in Mexico,  did you find a Dr. here in Arizona that would take care of your follow up care?  

In 2005, I had the band with Dr. Ortiz in Mexico, noone here would see me.  So, as I consider the VSG I'm wondering if anyone has had any luck getting an AZ doctor to work with you afterwards?

Thanks!
ginau
on 10/30/11 11:41 am - mesa, AZ
 I see you have Dr Blackstone  listed as your Dr ??   how is she working out for you ?

GinaU aka Jeanna 
 RNY revised  to Extended RNY 5/2008
Total loss 181 and counting 

-

Buttercup2012
on 10/30/11 11:49 am
Hello.   I haven't actually met Dr. Blackstone  yet.  I went to her office and did the nut, psy, and nurse practitioner visit.  I just completed my six month supervised diet.  My insurance will cover the band, or RNY.   Since I want the VSG, I am thinking of going to Mexico. 
ginau
on 10/31/11 3:55 am - mesa, AZ
As Ann said many dr's wont do follow up with you if your surgery os out of country .. ins plays a big part ..

if your willing to go to mexico to do a VSG= then why not pay out of pocket here in Az and have a local surgeon do the vsg ??

almost all offices have cash pay services ... and your follow up wont be such an issue .. I would look into that..

GinaU aka Jeanna 
 RNY revised  to Extended RNY 5/2008
Total loss 181 and counting 

-

Buttercup2012
on 11/1/11 10:54 am
Hi Ginau,

The out of pocket cost here is almost twice what it is in Mexico, and it seems like the Mexican surgeons have more experience with the VSG.   I'm calling around this week to see if I can get follow up care somewhere here in the valley.
Michele1az
on 11/1/11 7:46 am - Mesa, AZ
RNY on 08/26/13
My lap-band was with Dr. Ortiz in 2007 and a few years ago no one would see me about a revision.  Now I have insurance, but I have to wait 1 year (pre-existing condition) or pay cash ($16,000 in Las Vegas) cheapest cash pay that I can find besides Mexico.

Buttercup2012
on 11/1/11 10:52 am
Hi Michele,

What are you revising to?  How was your experience with Dr. Ortiz?  I emailed Dr. Pleatman's office in MI yesterday about a VSG.  He seems to enjoy a good reputation, and his cash price is reasonable (11,200) , but by the time you add in airfare and hotel...it adds up.

I talked to Dr. Feng's office in Las Vegas today.    Do you know who you plan on going with?
Michele1az
on 11/2/11 1:04 am - Mesa, AZ
RNY on 08/26/13
Hi!

I want to revise to a sleeve. In Las Vegas it is Dr. Umbach. Here I talked to Sprunger, but he wants to do 2 surgeries, one to remove the band and another for the sleeve. 

I am scared about the sleeve not working due to my PCOS, Hypothroid, and Metobolic syndrome. In 2009, Dr.
Schlesinger told me that was why the band never worked. 

I liked Dr. Ortiz and in 2007 I was SO hopeful, but now I get sadder everyday thinking that I will never get the revision or that I will be 350+lbs before I do. I was 140lbs in high school, 170lbs in my 20s, and I spent my 30s over 250lbs and I don't want to spend my 40s in the 300s.

Sorry to go on and on...

Michele
(deactivated member)
on 11/2/11 5:53 pm - San Jose, CA
When you have already failed one weight loss surgery, the odds of a revision surgery to a(nother) purely restrictive procedure being successful are between slim and none.  You would likely be better served by a malabsorptive procedure - RNY or DS.  And I wouldn't have an RNY if they were giving them out for free.
StillHopefulinAZ
on 11/8/11 10:19 am
I had my lapband done in Mexico and couldn't find a doctor in AZ to touch me.  I was going to have Dr Blackstone do my revision... but she wouldnt touch me either.  I found Dr Juarez, he does lots of revisions and isn't scared to touch someone who had surgery in Mexico. 
Banded 10/05/07 Dr Lopez Corvala Tijuana Mexico
Lapband removal 10/07/10 Dr Juarez Phoenix, AZ
RNY 12/13/10 Dr Juarez Phoenix, AZ

Most Active