Meeting

Joe S.
on 5/9/03 3:00 am
Hi guys. I was wondering, what things would be most helpful and/or interesting to you for starting an Arizona Chapter of ObesityHelp.com? We could probably have free samples of nutritional products sent out (at some point), books, bumper stickers, cards, etc. Would anyone here be interested in being an official support group leader for ObesityHelp AZ? Would anyone be interested in OH AZ tshirts being printed? I'll probably be promoting this AZ board to 500-1000 ObesityHelp.com members in AZ over the next week, so, this is something to think about. Thanks so much or making my web site such a success!
Vicky H A.
on 5/9/03 9:18 am - Maricopa, AZ
Eric, What vision do you have for the Az. chapter? I am assuming it would be for pre and post op patients. Any set criteria that you would want met with each group or would we need to come up with our own agenda? I think it would be a wonderful idea to meet others that are either struggling with insurance or health issues or just in need of mental support during those rough moments. I think you might know my surgeon, Dr. Steven Simon. He is wonderful and I attend his group meetings twice monthly. Give us an idea of what this would involve and I might be interested. I love this new local board and hope that others will start to come in. Thank you for thinking of us and supporting our needs. I do think it would be nice to have a sampling of products and perhaps a pamphlet that might have local e-mail addresses to contact with questions and give this to new surgery patients while in the hospital. I think a nice goal would be to have a group of post op patients that would take turns going to the hospitals prior to discharge and check on patients and hand out the "gift bag". Thanks again, Vicky
cindy
on 5/9/03 2:12 pm - Mesa, az
It sounds like this may be a large undertaking, would it be monthly, and would it include members from all over the state? I would also like to hear more of your idea for the AZ Chapter. I am thinking that it may be more involved than a support group meeting, would OH help set up speakers like doctors or nurses or even nutrionist? I would love to hear more.
Christine E.
on 5/16/03 4:27 am - Anthem, AZ
WOW this is great! I haven't had my surgery yet, but afterwards it would most definitely be something I would be interested in helping with. (I am scheduled to consult with the surgeon on June 3 - I have all tests done and approval from my insurance company.)
TheMuse
on 5/27/03 3:21 pm - Puyallup, WA
I think the idea of having a local chapter would be very beneficial. I would be more then interested in participating as a support group leader. It would be wonderful to have meetings once to twice a month for pre's and posts to come together and discuss trials and successes and open to the public. I would think that books and cards are the best route, I dont believe the shirts and bumper stickers would be utilized as much as there is some sensitivity about the word obese being printed across ones front or back or having it plastered on their vehicles. I just think it would be easier to pass out cards or flyers or maybe even pins, as I would be more recepetive to the that form of advertising. It would also be nice to get the Dr's. more involved in the site and activities, I know that my Surgeon Dr. Steven Simon had expressed interest in such an idea. Also, I would think it would be wonderful to organize some local activities for post op patients such as hiking events in the area or other mixers to get people together and talking, perhaps polls can be taken by local volunteers for bi-monthly activities. I know that it was helpful to have email buddies, but to have access to actual individuals say even in a mentoring program would be nice also. I have too many ideas to type out here, but I really do think that we need more access to organized events, meetings, and gatherings. Im sorry for rambling, but the thought of participating in an AZ Chapter is very exciting and the possibilities of the programs success is limitless. Thank you for all of your hard work, wothout the site I dont know what I would have done prior to my surgery, it was a constant source of inspiration and support! Regardless, I would love to volunteer in any way or wherever needed.
Most Active