Meeting with Dr. Meneghetti

zarah
on 7/6/06 12:26 am - Kelowna, Canada
Hi people, I had my consult with Dr M on Thursday. He asks the usual questions about your history - height, weight, how long you have been obese. I had already had most of the testing done so the only thing I have left are a treadmill heart test, dietician and he is doing the gastro-intestinal scope on the 19th of July at UBC. If I waited for the scope in Kelowna it would be at least a year. He wants to make sure you know about the surgery and it's complications. Any questions are good questions write them down I didn't so some things I forgot. I did ask about the length of his list and there were 30 - 40 people on the list. He anticipates to be starting the procedures in the fall to before Christmas. They have been taking appointments since last July. He told me the reason for the slow-up is the renovations at the hospital and the equipment is not here yet. The area is what the slowup is and as soon as they say it's ready they are good to go. Dr. M is very calm and doesn't rush your appointment at all. He does tend to be a little on the late side 45 min. I can live with that rather than sit on a wait list for years.
Sim W.
on 7/6/06 1:36 pm - Vancouver, Canada
Hi Sarah, My name is Sim White. I am scheduled to see Dr. M on July 31st. I am so excited and a little nervous. I have a few questions to ask you if you don't mind. You said testing- could you tell me what do you mean by that? what kind of testing? I have had blood and urine readings done months ago and everything was very normal. My family doctor said the readings were unbelievably low ( like an 18 year old as he said) and I am going to be 44 in a few weeks. He said I am a good candidate for the surgery. Is that the testing you mean? Would you mind filling me in? I want to go in prepared as much as possible. What kind of questions should I be thinking about? I want to know mostly about what happens after the surgery and how it will affect my eating. Will he go over the different types of surgery, and will he recommend the best procedure for the patient? How long did he say it would be approx before he can take you in? You wrote 30-40 people are on the list. Did he give you a ball park figure how long it will be once the surgeries start. I heard there are 3 doctors at VGH who are suppose to be doing the surgery? Did you hear that too? If so that should speed things up when the renovations and equipment are ready. Any information/news would be fantastic. Is BC medical going to cover the costs? Congratulations on everything so far, Take care and I hope to hear from you soon. Sim White
leannedr
on 7/26/06 4:42 am - Maple Ridge, Canada
Hi Sarah, I too have questions. I've finally gotten my consult appointment but I have to wait for December 11th (hope there's cancellations along the way). What tests did you have to have prior to going to see Dr. M. I want to make this procedure go as quickly and smoothly as possible so I want to cross my t's and dot my i's. What can I have done by my GP prior to my appointment with Dr. M? Also, when I spoke to his office, they told me he wouldn't be starting any surgeries until January. Another question is, how long did you have to wait for your consult after you saw your GP? I just want to get a feel for how many people are going to him. Thanks for all your info, Leanne D.
zarah
on 7/26/06 5:12 am - Kelowna, Canada
Hi Leann, Since I saw Dr. M. on June 25th - I have had a heart treadmill test, gone to the dietician about better eating and nutritional habits, plus vitamin intake and had a gastric scope done by Dr. M. on July 19th. I had previously seen a pyschiatrist to evaluate whether I had realistic goals and readiness for the procedure. You don't need to see the psychiatrist but will need to have a visit with a psychologist for 1 visit. These can basically all be done before the consult and Dr. M could do your scope or if you can get an earlier date with someone else you would be prepared by the consult date. Your GP can do the referrals to get them done. I waited 3 weeks for my first visit on June 25th, 2 weeks later he did my scope and I did the treadmill July 20th, dietician July 21. One month in total and I am ready to go. His surgerical start date depends on when the renovations are done, equipment arrival and as soon as the hospital says go he will start. He told me if it is completed sooner he will start sooner. I imagine the later your appt. the later the surgical date. Hope this was of help. Sarah
Most Active