Cardiologist test

(deactivated member)
on 9/25/06 2:46 pm - Victoria, Canada
I have an appointment with a cardiologist on Monday October 16th. I have not researched what goes on at the cardiologist. Can someone tell me what they did at their cardiologist appt? Thanks Janice
Sim W.
on 9/26/06 12:47 am - Vancouver, Canada
Hi Janice, It is pretty simple. First he has you fill out a form with questions on it and then you talk for a little while and he asks you questions about your family's history, etc and then he hooks you up to a EKG machine and takes your heart reading, blood pressure and weighs you. Very easy and painless. I had Dr. Mizgala- he is kind and supportive. Just prepared to wait for a while. I had to wait almost an hour and a half before I got in to him. His assistant is very nice and she has helped me to get in to a heart ultrasound appt one month earlier at VGH. I go next Monday, Oct 3rd at 7 am thanks to her calling for me. She was so helpful and considerate of my feelings. Let me know how things go. Good luck! Warm regards, Sim
(deactivated member)
on 9/26/06 2:57 pm - Victoria, Canada
Hey Sim, Thanks for sharing your cardiologist experience with me. It does sound relatively easy. I had an EKG done in the hospital about 3-4 years ago but have not had one since. I am over here on the island and am going to see a Dr Kinloch. (I always carry a book with me, plus I adore reading the magazines in the offices.) That same week I have to go for a 2nd appt with the endocronologist. He likes to do follow ups and he is an interesting dude with great magazines in his office. Hmm now that I am typing this I think I am supposed to call Anne at Dr. Meneghetti's office and let her know when my cardiologist appt is so she can book me a follow up appt with Dr. M. Now that is exciting. I will post here with my follow up appt date once I get it from Anne. That is awesome that you got an early date for your ultrasound. Is that your final pre-op test? Frankly, I can't wait til they actually start the surgeries. Then I will know for sure that I am on my way. Until then it still seems a little surreal. Take care Janice
Sim W.
on 9/26/06 3:21 pm - Vancouver, Canada
Hi Janice, Yes, the ultrasound on Oct 3rd and a dietican appt on Oct 12th are my last 2 appts I have to do so I am relieved and excited to be finally finishing those final pre-op tests. Yippee!! Then I will call Ann and book a follow up with Dr. M. I know he told me to call after all the tests are completed. Why do you have to go to the endocronologist 2 times? I did not have to go to one. What is this for? Cheers, Sim
(deactivated member)
on 9/26/06 10:51 pm - Victoria, Canada
I go to the endo because I have diabeties and had thyroid cancer in 1998. He deals with my thyroid and pancreas disorders. Here's a bit from Wikipedia: Endocrinology is a branch of medicine dealing with disorders of the endocrine system and its specific secretions called hormones. Hormones are molecules that act as signals from one type of cells to another. Most hormones reach their targets via the blood. Although every organ system secretes and responds to hormones (including the brain, lungs, heart, intestine, skin, and the kidney), the clinical specialty of endocrinology focuses primarily on the endocrine organs, meaning the organs whose primary function is hormone secretion. These organs include the pituitary, thyroid, adrenals, ovaries and testes, and pancreas. I am looking forward to having all my tests done too. Have a great day. Janice
zarah
on 9/27/06 12:19 am - Kelowna, Canada
Hi Janice, I also had to do a heart treadmill test after having an EKG. I failed. The test isn't difficult. You walk on the treadmill for 4 min and then they raise the incline on the machine so they can check your heat rate for problems. The longer you are on it the better chance they of discovering if there are concerns. I couldn't even get upto the first level adjustment. My breathing was so labored. I'm sure most of it was from anxiety. They gave me a gown that left me 3/4 uncovered and I made her get me a gown that fit, she was not happy. The area that they did the testing in was an area that everyone could see into. The Dr. that was to read the test had already left and had to come back. He was very angry that he had to come back for this!!! He said it was a waste of his time. They could'nt read if there were any problems. He also told me I needed to exercise and lose weight. No kidding! His bedside manner sucked. I wasn't there for pre-Olympic try-outs. Weight-loss surgery, hello! Sarah
(deactivated member)
on 9/27/06 2:36 pm - Victoria, Canada
Hey there Sarah, good to see you. I am sorry you had such a negative experience at that cardiologist. I sure don't want to wear an ass baring gown to do my exercise in. I don't mind going braless but that's it. I will bring some shorts with me and hopefully they wont interfer with the testing being done. Your mention of the treadmill test brings out the competitor in me. Plus I just came back from the gym. I have been going twice a week with a friend of mine, doing 20 minutes on the treadmill then 20 minutes of lane swimming. Then 10 minutes in the hot tub. It's heaven. I walk at a speed of 2.5-2.7 at my high end and never on an incline. I have managed once, so far, to go for a distance of 1.07 miles in 30 minutes. Usually, I only go about 3/4 of a mile. I think I will try a bit of an incline on it next time. I am hoping that my heart turns out to be a big strong healthy muscle. There never seems to be enough hours in my day to write all that I want to write. Gonna run...hope you are having a great week. Janice
Most Active