Update on my pre-op waiting

(deactivated member)
on 9/27/06 11:55 pm - Victoria, Canada
Yesterday, I called Dr. M's office to let them know the date of my cariologist appt and I asked Anne is she had any further news about the construction at the hospital for the bariatric unit. Apparently, there is no new construction and what they are waiting for is the budget to pay for staff and the equipment. I don't know where I got the idea they were building a separate wing for bariatrics. For some reason, the thought that they are waiting for funding makes me think it could be a long time before anything happens at all. Yesterday I told my family doctor that with the ongoing diabetes creating irrepairable tissue damage and my list of 23 other co-morbidities, I might still end up going down to the States to have surgery. And he seemed more receptive to that idea than he had been last year. So, based on my having the final appt of my pre-op tests booked Anne has given me a follow up appt with Dr. M for Monday, October 30 at 9:45am. Gotta go online to Harbour Air and reserve my flight. Also, if the cardiologist decides I need to have more tests, I need to call Anne and rebook the appt. She says at this appt, if the tests results indicate I am a suitable candidate for surgery, they will put my name on the list. She says there are approx 6 people on the list so far. 6 doesn't seem like much but can be forever is there is no budget. Damn those budgets. Why didn't they just plant a money tree? Progress is being made. Have a great day everyone. Janice
zarah
on 9/28/06 3:39 am - Kelowna, Canada
Hi Janice, I believe that they were renovating the hosptial and the surgical area at one time hadn't been completed, plus they were waiting for equipment. I also talked to Anne and the budget was an issue because of Dr.'s fighting for surgical time. All politics she said. All will go well at your Cardio appt. and you will be just behind me. Maybe we will be in at the same time and will get to meet each other in person? Sarah
Sim W.
on 9/28/06 1:35 pm - Vancouver, Canada
Hi Sarah and Janice, I just phoned Ann today and got my follow up appt with Dr. M for Monday, October 30th at 10:15 am as all my pre tests will be done by Oct. 12th. I read your posts on what is happening with the Diamond Centre. I was just there 2 weeks ago and the building was almost complete then. It was just the top few floors that were being finished ( 9th floor and up) and people were told they could not go above to those floors but the floors where one goes to the ultrasound, dietician and where Dr. M's office is on the 5th floor were all ready as they were accepting appts and performing services. It would be really great to find out more about what is going on?????? I can't imagine that they would go this far with everything and then be stopped. They also would not have asked Dr. M to do the surgeries and train 2 other surgeons as well, don't you think? I'm sure things will work out and money will become available. Maybe I am being optimistic (usually I am not like that all) but I'm sure we will have news soon. If anyone out there finds out any more info about the WLS please post here. I guess the worse case scenario is we will have to go out of province for the surgery if we have to. I hope not though. I plan to ask Dr. M when I see him in a month. By then, he should have some news one way or another. Let's keep our fingers crossed and hope for the best! The medical system keeps getting worse and worse. I had a friend who were admitted into emergency at Burnaby Hospital last week and were kept waiting for 7-8 hours to be looked at and she almost died while waiting in the hallway for help. She was in extreme pain but the doctors tried to send her home by saying take this pain killers and come back if you don't get any better. Her husband yelled and screamed and demanded help and then she was finally examined and they discovered she had an extremely low white blood cell count and her organs were blocked by kidney stones-only 20% of her kidney were functioning by this time. Well she is finally home now recuperating after being in the hopsital for 5 days and she is grateful for her husband and family fighting for her as she was too weak to do or say anything. Maybe we will have YELL AND SCREAM TOO as a group and let people know our cause too until someone listens and pays attention. Never underestimate yourself, if we need too we can unite and show a strong front and presence and advocate for funds!! Cheers, Sim
(deactivated member)
on 9/28/06 11:41 pm - Victoria, Canada
Hi Sim, Your appt is on the same day as mine,just 1/2 an hour after mine. If you see me in there, please introduce yourself. Maybe if there is time we can go to the cafeteria and have a coffee. The last time I was in the office there were a few others in there and I was very tempted to ask them if they were there for WLS. LOL...talk about asking personal questions to strangers. I do still look like my picture except less blonde color in my hair..more brown. I am about 5'6",5'7", glasses, no rings. Of course, I will only be there if my cardiologist test goes okay. Will let you know. As to finding out more info about the Diamond Centre or/and the surgical start dates I believe that they don't know definate dates either and sometimes not knowing what is going on makes me feel anxious. Sometimes, I end up awfulizing and whining and it's not a pretty sight. What I am gonna do is take this as an opportunity to learn patience. I believe that all things happen for a reason and my job is to figure out what I am supposed to be learning. Mainly because if I don't learn it, the universe will keep putting more learning opportunities into my life until I do learn. Now that being said, I am sure it's not as black and white as just being a lesson about patience, lol. What you summarized around all that has gone into the Centre already points out to me that yes, it is highly likely that there will be bariatric surgeries going on soon. Your words have helped me to get a better perspective. I will have WLS by April 2007!!!!! Take Care Janice
Sim W.
on 9/29/06 12:52 pm - Vancouver, Canada
Hi Janice, Great, if you do go to Dr. M's office on Oct 30th, you are there half an hour before my appt. I would love to get together and chat for a while. I will give you my description. so you can find me easier. I am about 5 foot 2 inches with shoulder length brown straight hair and glasses. I will be with my mom siting in the waiting room. I will be there about 10-15 minutes before my appt so around 10 am. Don't worry, everything will work out. I too believe that things happen for a reason. We just become stronger and as you said more patient. Take care and I hope to see you on Oct 30th. Sim
(deactivated member)
on 9/30/06 12:05 am - Victoria, Canada
I will know for sure after my cardiologist appt on Oct 16th. It would be fun to get together for a chat. Keep ya posted. Janice
Most Active