Obese British Columbians

zarah
on 11/4/06 3:50 pm - Kelowna, Canada
Hi Everyone again, I was reading on the sight Janice suggested that,12% of British Columbians 18 yrs and older are obese and costing healthcare 380 million dollars a year! They have a lot of incentive to do these surgeries. Sarah
(deactivated member)
on 11/4/06 11:09 pm - Victoria, Canada
Thanks for posting that info Sarah. I might use that statistic in my letter to my MLA. Was that the Conversations about Health site? From that one piece of info I can see that it's not their lack of knowledge that is holding things up. I have also read enought to know that the Provincial govt has started some excellant preventative programs for obese children etc etc. I think our challenge is that we need to figure out how "the system" works so we can channel our energies in the right direction. I am going to ask my MLA how that works (who's in charge of who and who should we be lobbying). I am going to email the letter to her today. Earlier this week I was thinking about sending a letter to Janet Davidson but I am going to hold off on that til I find out more from my MLA. Janice
wyldangel
on 11/6/06 3:14 pm - surrey, Canada
Hi Janice ty for the reply, now im really mixed up what to do, i live in bc i didnt know lapband wasnt covered, i was told about a ruen-y surgery does anyone have anyhting good to say about that surgery?
(deactivated member)
on 11/6/06 10:36 pm - Victoria, Canada
Linda, I hope you have lots of time to spend on the internet and specifically this website. The best suggestion I have is that you read the profiles of members who have had RNY. That will give you a more informed picture. Of the top of my head, I would say that thousands of people have something good to say about the RNY. The question you might want to ask both yourself and your family doctor or surgeon is "which one is right for me?" Good luck with your research. Janice
wyldangel
on 11/5/06 1:04 am - surrey, Canada
I was told that the lap band is not covered by medical is this true?
(deactivated member)
on 11/5/06 1:55 am - Victoria, Canada
It is true. However, if you live in the province of Alberta, you could possibley get the lap band done for free as they have started a trial run for the band. Janice
Most Active