Pre-op exercise -- I want to start hiking!

Serenisis
on 5/1/12 9:24 am, edited 5/1/12 10:43 am - Coquitlam, BC, Canada
VSG on 08/13/12
Hey everyone,

So I've been spending a lot of time trying to get in shape and find a fitness routine/lifestyle that works for me.  Most of you know that I've recently started Dr. Sampath's program, and so far it's going really well.  I had a really interesting chat with PAL yesterday and felt compelled to share one of my goals -- to start hiking. 

I've always had a lot of insecurities about exercising outdoors and felt conflicted about trying it with my closest friends and fam.  I also didn't have the luxury of being able to drive anywhere on my own until March of this year.

If anyone is interested in trying it with me, I've compiled a list of easy trails in the lower mainland that I'd like to attempt sometime this year.  I have some family and friends who would be willing, but I also think it would be great to do this together with other people who are going through the WLS process or have had it already.  

Let me know :) The list and more of my WLS ramblings can be found on my blog here:  http://searchingformysolace.wordpress.com/2012/05/01/im-going-to-start-hiking/ 

HW: 401 --- 1st Consult: 373 --- SW: 333, lost 68lbs total pre-op!!!

Created by MyFitnessPal - Free Calorie Counter

Nikkal
on 5/1/12 3:07 pm
VSG on 07/18/13
 I've got lists of GVRD hikes & trails, plus some in Richmond that aren't on that list.

Because of my arthritis I'm only up to about 1.5 km right now, but I'm working my way up!
Serenisis
on 5/1/12 3:28 pm - Coquitlam, BC, Canada
VSG on 08/13/12
I'd love to see that list if you don't mind sharing I was hoping to find some places in Richmond on Wednesday afternoons before our class! I honestly don't know how much I can walk, but I want to try -- I have bad knees and early arthritis as well so I need to start slow...

Nikkal
on 5/1/12 4:01 pm
VSG on 07/18/13
 If you want to meet a bit early we can take a quick stroll tomorrow if it's nice before class - just let me know! I can't stay late, I have something downtown afterwards.

I can give you the URLs tomorrow too, but I should post them here too:

http://www.vancouvertrails.com/trails/

http://www.richmond.ca/parksrec/ptc/trails/map.htm

Serenisis
on 5/1/12 4:15 pm - Coquitlam, BC, Canada
VSG on 08/13/12
 I should be there early (before 5) so I'll pm you my number and you can call or text me when you arrive! 
I used vancouvertrails to make my list, love it! And thanks for Richmond link =))

bbwvixen
on 6/6/12 7:58 am - Surrey, Canada
There is a great trail off of 68th in Delta, we can bring out dogs, and it has different levels.
Last weekend I did 2.5 miles, but that was up, down, over and lots of obsticals
Serenisis
on 6/13/12 4:19 pm - Coquitlam, BC, Canada
VSG on 08/13/12
 Oh neat!! That sounds like fun, do you know what it's called?  

On Tuesday I did my longest hike yet -- 6km following the Shoreline trail to and from Rocky Point Park in Port Moody!  It had some ups and downs, stairs and narrow boardwalks, and I can't believe I survived...It took my friend and I about 2 hrs, and I wanted to saw my left leg off by the end of it, but it was so incredible to say I did it and feel that rush at the end as I got close to my car!!! I'm doing another one tomorrow, this time around Deer Lake in Burnaby which is about 5km :) 

Most Active