Waitlist

AnImperfectAngel
on 7/22/15 7:28 pm - Victoria, Canada
VSG on 05/30/17

Does anyone know what the current wait time is in Victoria for gastric bypass? I can't seem to get an answer out of anyone.

Reicken
on 7/22/15 10:24 pm - Victoria , Canada

It really depends on your commitment and what is allocated by Island Health for bariatric surgeries. If you stick to plan, follow what you're told and lose weight, it seems that you will get it done faster than someone who doesn't have the same commitment. I my surgery is in less than a week and have been in the program for about two years.

Dr. Malik is no nonsense as is Carla the dietician. The program is setup to help you with long term success, so follow it religiously for best results. The surgery is another tool to your weight loss journey, not the solution.

all the best!

HW: 330 | SW: 300 | 1 Mo: -27 | 2 Mo: -12| 3 Mo: 0 (stalled!)

Surgery Type: VSG - Dr. Malik @ Royal Jubilee Hospital (2015/07/27)

AnImperfectAngel
on 7/23/15 1:10 pm - Victoria, Canada
VSG on 05/30/17

Thanks for your reply. I am on the list for Dr. Amson and have yet to receive any kind of call after more than a year. When I called them, I was referred to the clinic at RJH. There I got a recording saying they don't discuss wait times. I left a message and got a message back referring me to the VIHA website which provides minimal basic info that I already have.

Can you please tell me how long it was before you received your first call? And what happened after that? I'm so happy for you that you"re getting your surgery. Good luck!

Reicken
on 7/23/15 3:33 pm - Victoria , Canada

I'm not sure if switching surgeons will get you in faster, but I know that the communication with Dr. Malik's office has been way better than what I received at Dr. Amson's office. At the time he seemed to be very busy, but that may have changed.

Wait times are fluid as when I went to the orientation I was told 3-5 years, but 2 year later I'm scheduled as I believe they found more surgery slots for bariatric procedures. It could change again next year. That's why they probably cannot give you more than a best guess.

Anyways, don't give up hope, and once you are in the system, things seem to move along. there was a time when I didn't hear from anyone for a year, then inside of 3-4 months I had all my bloodwork, ECG, final checkout and signoff from Carla and the surgeon and a date.

Keep working on lifestyle changes. I faltered at the beginning, but once I demonstrated change, things went pretty fast!

If there is anything else I can answer (I'm by all means NOT an expert), please let me know!

HW: 330 | SW: 300 | 1 Mo: -27 | 2 Mo: -12| 3 Mo: 0 (stalled!)

Surgery Type: VSG - Dr. Malik @ Royal Jubilee Hospital (2015/07/27)

AnImperfectAngel
on 7/23/15 3:48 pm - Victoria, Canada
VSG on 05/30/17

Thank you for giving me hope! I live in Victoria, so if there's anything I can do for you when you are in town for your surgery, please let me know. I know that support is important. You must be so excited! Best of luck to you.

tamarag55
on 7/24/15 6:18 am, edited 7/24/15 6:21 am - Port Moody (outside Vancouver), Canada

Check back through other posts here in the last couple of months, you'll find lots of experience and information that may help you too.

Maybe leave message asking about getting signed up for an orientation or that you'd like to understand how you and your primary physician should relate to the program now, or even asking Carla (the dietician) if there are any support programs running soon she can sign you up for? Not sure if any of that will help but maybe..

Good luck with everything! !

AnImperfectAngel
on 7/26/15 12:25 am - Victoria, Canada
VSG on 05/30/17

Thanks for the great suggestions. Did you have Dr. Amson?

tamarag55
on 7/26/15 6:39 pm - Port Moody (outside Vancouver), Canada

My surgeon is Dr. Malick

I just met him last week and I am waiting for my surgery date.  I asked for October because I am moving... we'll see....

AnImperfectAngel
on 7/26/15 7:14 pm - Victoria, Canada
VSG on 05/30/17

I really hope you get a surgery date before you move and that everything goes well!

L_Ballantyne1962
on 7/30/15 10:37 pm - Canada

Hi, I meet Dr. Zentner last August and started on the process of dedicating myself to better health. I listened to Dr. Zentners advice and followed her directions. I saw her once a month and started to loss weight. I got a call in February to attend orientation in Victoria in March. I went to the orientation and meet with Carla the following day. When I got home I went and had my blood work done, EKG and went for sleep apnea testing. Continued to see Dr. Zentner. Found out I had moderate sleep apnea, Who knew??? I also meet with Dr. Malik in March for a consultation. I went home and continued along with working on taking care of myself. I then got a call the middle of June for my surgery date which is August 12th. I will be going to Victoria on August 10th to meet with the Anthologist, blood work, chest xray, and EKG. Then surgery on August 12th. Dr. Malik is no nonsense. He told me gain weight before your surgery I will cancel your surgery....yikes!!! But he was kind, professional, and respectful.  I am excited but nervous all at the same time. I still have been seeing Dr. Zentner every month.  

Most Active