Had VSG surgery on August 12th

L_Ballantyne1962
on 8/16/15 2:23 pm - Canada

Had my surgery on August 12th and I am feeling pretty good. I know I am not getting in all the protein that I should be but my tummy is telling me to go slow. Sooo I am listening. I have not needed any pain meds since the 15th, although I am tired. I find that I go for a 15 minute walk or outing and I need to rest when I get home. I would say the worse part was the gas pain in my tummy from the air that is put into your abdomen for the surgery. Getting that going and moving was painful for me but by day 3 it was pretty much gone. I felt it in my tummy, chest, back and shoulder blades. Can be a little scary because it presents like signs of other things that are dangerous. I have been eating whey protein shakes, boost, applesauce, chicken or beef broth, yogurt, sugar free popsicles, and sipping water all day.

Laura

Reicken
on 8/18/15 8:14 am - Victoria , Canada

Sounds like things are going pretty well. If you are looking for good protein shakes, the Premier Protein shakes you can get at Costco are awesome. Small enough for you to sip on as a meal replacement, but have 30g of protein. Second if you are looking for something a little thicker would be Glucerna Meal Replacement shakes, which can be bought at Walmart or some Shoppers Drug Marts. They are 225 cal (vs 160 for the Premier Protein), and have only 22g of protein, but they are a little thicker and that is what I lived off of pre-surgery.

Gas pain and nausea were my constant companions for about 5 days, but didn't use much of my pain medication at all. 

You got this! Welcome to the losers bench! Good luck!

HW: 330 | SW: 300 | 1 Mo: -27 | 2 Mo: -12| 3 Mo: 0 (stalled!)

Surgery Type: VSG - Dr. Malik @ Royal Jubilee Hospital (2015/07/27)

Shainsley
on 8/20/15 9:06 am - Canada

Thanks for the update Laura! I've been thinking about you and hoping that things went well with your surgery. Are you settling in at home now? Best of luck!!!

mamaj1950
on 8/21/15 10:14 am - Canada

so glad you are doing well.i have followed all the rules and feel great.Bit of setback only because i over exercised so now i know to just do what feels good.since july 6 day of surgery i am down 27 pounds i am amazed and happy.like you i find getting all the protein and fluids a bit hard but keep on trying.You should be proud of yourself for taking this positive life changing decision and i know you will succedd in your goals.alll my best mamaj.

Most Active