Vancouver area bariatric surgery-friendly primary doctors?

OBHave
on 7/17/16 10:50 am

Like a lot of people, I don't have an actual primary doctor and depend on walk-in clinics for my health care.

Does anyone know of any primary care providers who are interested or experienced in working with potential bariatric surgery patients? I went to one (and finding a doctor with an opening on their patient list was already hard enough) and she just was not a fan of bariatric surgery at all and I didn't get a good vibe, generally.

I'd like to get either a referral to one of the local BC bariatric surgery programs or may just end up going to Washington or Mexico if the waitlist it too long and I want to avoid all the work of getting onto a primary doctor's list only to find them unsympathetic or uninterested in bariatric options since they may end up carrying more of the post-bariatric medical load if I'm not getting it done locally.

I'm carless but near SkyTrain stations and work downtown.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Heather L.
on 7/19/16 10:54 am - Coquitlam, Canada
VSG on 03/26/15

You're going to need a GP who is willing to work with your post-bariatric requirements whether you go through a BC program or elsewhere.  The Richmond program only follows up for so long, which means your GP will be the one prescribing you reflux meds (if necessary) and ordering blood-work after you've graduated from the surgery program (which is currently happening to patients who went through Richmond).

If you're having access issues with doctors, you could always try Medeo, which is a video-based doctor service.  They can sometimes provide referrals and prescriptions with just a video consult.  

My GP is just a doctor I found at a local walk-in clinic and kept going back to.  I heard once that if you've seen the same doctor three times, they're considered your primary physician. Just a thought!

VSG Mar 26, 2015 Dr. Sharadh Sampath -- 5'3" -- 47YO -- HW: 294 - SW: 261 - CW: 192 - GW: 175
Bi-lateral Brachioplasty May 8, 2017 Dr. Owen Reid
Lower Body Lift Oct 2, 2017 Dr. Owen Reid

"Weight is lost in kitchens, health is gained in gyms." - Dr. Yoni Freedhoff

heatherisshrinking.tumblr.com

OBHave
on 7/19/16 8:09 pm

Yeah. Unless I get a name of a bariatric-surgery-friendly GP, I don't have the time or inclination to travel from one doctor's appointment to another trying to find 'THE ONE'. I may just go back to my walk-in and try for the doctor who isn't a locum but actually there a few times a week.

Here's a link re: walk-in clinic doctors and primary physicians to say 'thanks!'.

If anyone has a doctor's name, though, I'd still be interested!

liltrubl
on 9/12/16 6:11 pm

If you do have the surgery done else where, you might consider joining the Medical Weight Management Centre in Coquitlam for support afterwards, I know that they are savvy regarding the surgeries and also offer diet and mental health advise. Good luck to you in whichever you choose. :)

jlchubs
on 10/12/17 1:59 pm

Hi there,

I know this is an old post but did you end up finding someone? I currently have no primary care physician and am having trouble finding one. I'd really like to pursue bariatric surgery in the US or Mexico, so I'm hoping to find a doctor that will be supportive. Let me know if you have any suggestions!

Most Active