Has any one recently been contacted by Richmond program?

Mjdvan
on 11/7/17 11:27 am

Has any one been contacted for orientation and when we're younreferred?

anabanana1976
on 11/15/17 10:16 pm
VSG on 11/21/17

Hi there, I was contacted in August 2017, but my referral was sent in August 2015, so exactly 2 years to the date.. it WILL happen.. and when it does, it's amazing!!

Metamorph1959
on 11/29/17 10:42 pm

Anabanana, could you please tell me what you consider to be amazing about it? I've been referred both to the Richmond and the Victoria programs. It would be much easier to get to Richmond from here than Victoria, but I understand it's about a year longer to get in. Is it worth the wait?

anabanana1976
on 11/29/17 11:19 pm
VSG on 11/21/17

Hi Metamorph1959.

I can't speak about the Victoria Program as I was never a part of it but the Richmond one was so efficient, well put together, and accessible.

I had my info session on Sept 21st. On Sept 25th I saw the dietician. He told me my BMI was too high and o had to lose 28lbs before I get a consult with the surgeon. He put together a meal plan for me and I did a lot of swimming and a month later I had lost 20lbs. He then sent me to see the surgeon a week later. The surgeon booked me in for surgery not even 3 weeks later.

I had my VSG on Nov 21. So 2 months exactly from my info session.

Some people don't get fast tracked. For example a lady I met through this process, her info session was in February and she had surgery the same date as me.. it all depends on how you are already doing with lifestyle, diet, goals, overall health etc.

In my opinion, I would wait on both wait lists and go with whoever calls first, if you can muster the expenses for Victoria. You will have post op appointments to tend to as well. Maybe ask them if they do Skype follow ups?

I I had Dr. Nguyen and love everything about him. His knowledg base and dedication, mannerisms, funny side, kindness.. so easy to talk to..

Metamorph1959
on 11/30/17 12:06 am

Thanks, Anabanana. That sounds great. I'm on both wait lists, but I expect to hear from Victoria long before I hear from Richmond. I would much prefer Richmond, and perhaps it's worth waiting for that call.

MSP will pay for the ferries but not for overnight stays. I'm also concerned about just how much time and effort I'll have to put into travelling. It would require one ferry and up to 6 hours total travel time for me to get to Richmond; as for Victoria, that's two ferries and a full day of travel just to get there, without actually attending any appointments. Plus I have a free place to stay in Vancouver...

Skype is an awesome idea.

May I ask what number was "too high" in regards to your BMI? This could be good incentive to use my wait time well!

anabanana1976
on 11/30/17 8:30 am
VSG on 11/21/17

Hi Metamorph

According to their manual and information you get at the info session, if your BMI is over 60 - surgery is considered too high risk.
Mine was over 60 so I had to lose 28lbs to get it below 60. By Surgery date, I was down 36 lbs, so I definately passed. But I also wanted this SO BADLY and have been waiting for 2 years. No way I was going to risk being told no. Another thing they want you to have is a shrunk liver..this only happens by elminitaing fat stored in the liver so, my personal suggestion is start now bit by bit - high protein, low fat, almost no carbs.. and portion control.. by the time they call you, you may be fast tracked ..But, I am not a or a dietician and I don't know your overall health history, so maybe talk to your GP if that is something you can start doing. It is always good to get appropriate medical advise.
When did your Richmond referral go in?
A.

Metamorph1959
on 11/30/17 1:22 pm

Ah, my BMI is 49, so I'm safe in that regard.

My main concern at the moment is my compulsive eating, and I'm working on that mainly with a psychiatrist but also to some extent with a therapist (she and I deal with other stuff as well). I'm also trying to sort out some circadian rhythm issues, which I know are a contributing factor to my obesity, but I haven't got professional support on that front.

I'm very knowledgeable about nutrition and for the most part eat a very healthful diet... just too much of it, both because of excessive hunger and because of compulsiveness in social situations.

I'm quite averse to surgery, as my last two surgical experiences were rather negative, and very afraid of going through it all and then ending up being one of those *****gain the weight. I'm determined to use this waiting period to deal with some of the issues that have led to my being this heavy before I have the surgery.

So I think I'm on track.

I'm not sure when my referral went in. I think it's about a year and a half at this point.

Thanks for the info!

MM

Metamorph1959
on 11/30/17 1:25 pm

Oh, dear. If you type "who" and "regain," the system sees a naughty word in there! So sensitive!

MM.

losing2live2015
on 1/15/18 6:52 pm - Powell River , BC
RNY on 11/09/17

Hi again. I have 2 ferries and a full day travel to get to Richmond. Where do you live? I'm in Powell River. I'm looking for friends who have gone through or are about to go through gastric bypass.

Mjdvan
on 12/5/17 6:40 pm

I have been referred to both programs. Victoria has called and my consult is in January. I would also love to be see. In Richmond but the wait is insane. I was referred June 2016. I have lost 30 pounds in that time and am tracking every single bite that goes in my mouth. So I hope I can be fast tracked as well. So hard to wait!

Most Active