Any hope of being covered to go to the US on BC Medical?

dbaigent1
on 12/15/05 4:50 am - Burlington, Canada
Hi everyone, I am post-op WLS patient (I had a duodenal switch procedure and have lost 140 lbs this year and am still losing), but I am looking to help my brother in BC (who is morbidly obese) do research as to whether you can get approved from BC Medical for going to the US for WLS. If anyone has information about past applications or approvals for coverage, please reply. Thank you, David
Seazon
on 12/25/05 9:36 am - Salmon Arm, Canada
Hi David, I am scheduled for duodenal switch surgery in Wash. state on Jan. 27/06. I plan to contact BC Medical in early Jan. for financial coverage. I will let you know if I find out anything useful. Can you keep me posted if you find out anything re: coverage. Thank you. Congratulations on your weight loss, 140 lbs. is fantastic. Paula
lmsmith
on 12/30/05 1:17 am - Burnaby, Canada
My brother had his done and was fully covered by BC Medical. My mom has done all the research and is now workign for his doctor to help other canadians walk through the process. If you would like to contact her, her email address is [email protected] Leanne LAP RNY Dec 16/05 247/220/140
Tracey67
on 2/21/06 1:16 pm - Surrey, Canada
Hi David, I was recently approved from MSP for Out of Country surgery in the States. All I did was download the form on the internet, fill out what I could, brought the form into Dr. Woodhead (WLS surgeon, here in Delta), he filled out the rest. I asked for copies of all my tests that I had previously done (that cost $50.00 for the copies), wrote a personal letter, sent all the info in and I was approved within 3 weeks! I am going to Dr. Srikanth in Tacoma to have RNY medial surgery on March 16/06! Wow, I am excited and can't wait! Doing a very high protein diet right now, then on March 6th, start a 10 all liquid diet...YIKES! Gonna be hard, but I am so exicited..... Hope that helps, if you need more info, email me privately... [email protected] Talk to you soon, and congrats on your weight loss! That is fabulous! Tracey
dbaigent1
on 2/22/06 11:01 am - Burlington, Canada
Tracey, Thank you for the information. I'll be sure to let my Brother know that US coverage is possible for BC residents. Good luck with ytour surgery and your WL journey. David
Sim W.
on 2/24/06 1:30 pm - Vancouver, Canada
Hi Tracey, I live in Vancouver, BC. My doctor is not too familiar with names, contacts, etc so I had to do all the research to locate a few names with 3-5 years waitlists. Would you mind giving me the contact for Dr. Woodhead as I would be interested in pursuing other avenues if possible and his name did not come up. Any names would be so helpful. Any information/ help on obtaining approval to go to the US on BC medical would be great. It's nice to know there are options. Good luck with your surgery, you are so lucky! Ayse
lmsmith
on 3/29/06 12:06 pm - Burnaby, Canada
Dr Woodhead - Delta, BC - 604-946-6500
foofoo1946
on 5/4/06 11:56 pm - gibsons, Canada
Hi! I couldn't get coverage but did not want the RNY (the DS is just not done anymore in Canada...Dr Colqhoun in Saskatoon is currently not doing surgery and he is not taking anymore patients anyway...long story). Many Canadians are self paying to go to one of the world's most highly regarded Bariatric Surgeons...Dr Marchesini in Curitiba Brazil. The hospital he works out of is much safer than North American hospitals in that the infection rate is the third lowest in the world and there is no shortage of nurses. The care is beyond reproach. The cost is around $15 thous for everything inluding air fare, hotel...everything... I had my surgery with Dr M and am so very pleased. There is a yahoo group [email protected] and his personal website is www.drmarchesini.com It takes about six weeks to get a date for surgery with him...you have to get testing done here and obtain a passport and Brazilian visa. I hope this is of some help. Sandi Logan Lake
dbaigent1
on 5/5/06 8:44 pm - Burlington, Canada
Sandy, Thanks for the reply and the info. I agree that Dr. Marchesini in Curitiba Brazil is one of the best DS surgeons in the world. You should know that Dr. Colqhoun in Saskatoon was not and is not the only Canadian DS surgeon. Although Dr. Douglas Hess of Ohio conceived of the DS, the full procedure was improved upon and modified to its current state of near perfection by Dr. Hess in collaboration with Dr. Picaud Marceau of Laval Quebec and Dr. Baltasar of Spain. Dr. Picaud Marceau of Laval Quebec is a professor of Surgery and still accepts new patients, but unfortunately unless you are a Quebec resident you can expect a six year waiting list (Quebec residents get priority and very sick Quebecer's get priority amongst Quebecer's. I have recently found out that others form BC have successfully been approved for payment and in some case for reimbursement of costs to go to the US for RNY's and for DS's. I agree that you would be in capable hands with Dr. Marchesini, but when I decided on WLS I gave myself 12 months to fight my provincial insurance to out-of country coverage ten I was going to beg, borrow or steal the money for Dr. Baltisar or Dr. Marchesini then begin the fight for full reimbursement of costs. Good luck with your decision and your journey and keep posting. David (Formerly of British Columbia) Duodenal Switch June 22, 2005 Dr. Marek Lutrzykowski Bloomfield Hills (Detroit) Michigan 399/229/?
Most Active