RNY help

Tracey67
on 1/24/06 9:05 am - Surrey, Canada
For those who have had the RNY, what procedure of the RNY did you have? And what do you all think of the procedures you had? Would you change anything? I had a stomach stapling done in 1998 and now I am looking to be revised to a RNY. I am wondering about the different procedures of RNY and what people have had. I am leaning towards the "medial RNY" which bypasses about 70 - 100 inches of the common channel, as I have about 130 lbs to lose. There is the proximal (bypass 170 inches) and the distal (bypass 60 inches). I am curious as to what others have had done, what they find the difference is between the surgeries, and what the outcome has been? Thanks in advance for your knowledge.... Tracey 340lbs 5'9"
Suuz51
on 3/11/06 7:42 pm
Hi Tracey... Don't know that you've had any replies...I too have been looking for someone to talk with that has had a revision from the old stomach stapling done back in the 80's to an RNY. I went to a bariatrics surgeon who didn't mince words. He told me that he wouldn't give me a percentage as to my being able to make it through the surgery because it was that much riskier than a first time RNY. It sort of shaded my hopes for having the surgery. Afterall I don't want to take such a risk if it might mean my life. I saw one poster say that the risk had been qouted to her to be as much as 15% higher than a normal RNY. I just don't like those odds...ya know what I mean? If you find out anything more will you please email me? Thanks So Much, Suuz
Most Active