Need Feedback

tansey
on 3/20/06 1:02 pm - Victoria, Canada
Hello, I new to his type of thing, and a bit computer illiterate, but here I go. I have been Researching WLS for a few months. The lap band procedure interests me due to non-invasiveness, otherwise I probably would not have considered WLS. I had no idea that there were doctors on the island or mainland (i live in Victoria) that performed these procedures, although now that I hear of the wait lists, i probably would do the surgery out of country. I also was suprised to hear that some have been covered by BC MSP. I just assumed I would beg/borrow $$. I am nervous, and wonder if I am nuts to even consider the surgery,and to possibley do it in Mexico. I am also somewhat embarassed to talk with this to most of my family and friends. My GP does not support this and just thinks I should join weigh****chers. How does one finally say, enough! I'm getting the surgery. I've been on a teeter totter lately, can't make up my mind. Also if I should do the Surgery locally or say, in Mexico. Any feedback for me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Tansey
lisajean_70
on 3/23/06 7:12 am - New Westminster, Canada
Hi Tansey, Go to Dr.Amson's website: www.victoriabariatricsociety.com Dr. Amson does the lap-band as well as the roux-en-y surgery. Also check out the message board and post - you will find ALL of Dr.Amsons patients, pre-op and post-op, friendly and full of advice. Most who post are rny patients; however, there are several patients who have had the lap-band or are getting the lap-band done. Dr. Amson charges around $16,000; surgery in Mexico is around $11,000 (one board member is having surgery in Mexico soon so could advise you on her experience; one is from Vancouver through Dr.A; another I believe had his done in France). As you pay privately for the lap-band; upon a referral to Dr.Amson and appropriate appointments, you should not have to wait that long. RNY surgery can be 6 - 18 months for 1st appointment, and then 1 - 3 year wait after that for a surgery date. Many waiting for RNY surgery (I am heading into my 3 years of waiting and still no date...) are now opting to apply through MSP for surgery in the US and are getting approved depending on BMI, co-morbidities, etc. Good Luck from Lisa C (you'll see me post occasionally on Dr.A's message board). TONS OF AMAZING INFO AND PEOPLE. Cheers!
violette
on 4/11/06 7:59 am - surrey, Canada
I was reading your message and was wondering how you go about applying with MSP for funding for the surgery? I just found out earlier today at the cost and was suprised! Just an avenue I may take! Thank-you in advance! Stephanie
lisajean_70
on 3/23/06 7:33 am - New Westminster, Canada
Hey Tansey, I am actually going into 4 years of waiting for RNY surgery with Dr.A; however I got pregnant and that de-railed things for a year. Good luck! Lisa C
dogqueen_3
on 3/29/06 9:11 am - Kelowna, Canada
If you are considering going to Mexico, Dr. Rumbaut in Monterrey is the best. He has done over 3500 lapbands. I had my RNY done by him in Feb of this year. You can e-mail Cathy at [email protected] and she can give you all the info.
lmsmith
on 4/7/06 3:07 pm - Burnaby, Canada
I had my LAP RNY done by Dr Joya in Puerta Vallarta Mexico. It was the single best decision I ever made. I am now almost 4 months out and have lost almost 70 lbs. My brother also had it done by Dr Joya and is almost 6 months out and has lost 130 lbs. If you would like any info on Dr Joya or have any quetions, let me know!! [email protected] Leanne Burnaby, BC
AntonellaN
on 5/29/07 5:10 am - Vancouver, Canada
I am starting to research the lap band. Why did you go to Mexico? How much did it cost? How do you get the support living far away? Sorry, I have a million questions! Congratulations! Antonella
amoska
on 7/13/07 11:53 pm - Oliver , Canada
Leanne...I am sure you have been inundated with requests. I appreciate you giving your time to those of us who are (will) be new to this. What was your 'final' cost to have this done? Was there a finanancing plan? What did you do about followups? Did you have to fly down every 2 months? And last but not least my major concern is not being able to eat fruits and vegetables. Without eating the fruits and veggies don't you become/stay terribly constipated? Cuz if you do that' s not good for an individual ...keeping all those toxins in your body. How long from the time you decided til you had it done did you have to wait? I understand the wait list in BC is quite long. Do the 'needles' hurt that go into your tummy to fill the pouch later? Thank you soooo much for taking the time to answer me. My email address is [email protected]... Cheers....Karen Amos
lmsmith
on 7/15/07 11:17 am - Burnaby, Canada
The final cost was 12500.00 us. I see my GP for follow up. I eat all fruits and veggies witout any problems at all now. It did take a while, but all go down fine now. I had some constipation in the beginning, but only the first few months. I decided to get it done in Oct. and had it done in Dec when I could get the time off work. I had RNY not banding, so I dont' know about fills. I didn't want the hassle of fills, so I had the RNY instead. Leanne
4tenderfoot
on 2/11/08 1:45 pm - Sequim, WA
I need a "revision" as have returned to 242# and still climbing...I'm 65 & don't want to waddle through my senior years--and while don't have any diabetes (thank goodness), I have other health related problems. Medicare requires big wait list and lots of hoops and I'm at a point where I just want to get it over with....... I like your phrase" best decision you ever made" and am interested in more info. re Dr. Joya and your experiences with hospital, staff, travel, price. Thanks for your input and very best wishes for your continued success. [email protected] Beth Cornville,AZ
Most Active