Recent Posts

healthbound
on 6/10/11 9:46 am - BC, Canada
Topic: RE: I have a date!!
Hi Henner!

How is the liquid diet going so far?

I'm in BC and just had my first appointment with Dr Sampath today.  I'm excited and nervous.  Doing the sleep apnea test tonight and have my gastro appointment in July.
healthbound
on 6/10/11 9:38 am - BC, Canada
Topic: RE: Gastroscopy with Dr Sampath yesterday
Hi Clovergirl,

I had my first appointment with Dr Sampath today.  I am still trying to grasp this is happening too.  I'm so excited and hopeful, yet I'm also scared and sometimes pessimistic (What if I gain the weight back? What if I can't follow a good diet? What if I can't excercise daily etc).  It's a lot.

I watched a few gastric bypass videos on youtube yesterday and the reality of the permenant internal (physical) changes really sank in.  I don't want to "fail" like I have at all my other weight loss attempts.

Mabye it's a good sign that we feel overwhelmed sometimes.  It shows we care about making the best choice possible for ourselves.
raingal
on 6/10/11 9:35 am - Surrey, Canada
Topic: RE: Any info on abdominalplasty?
There's no difference between abdominoplasty and tummy tuck.  The first is the medical terminology and the second is the common term.
Dr. Benjamin Gelfant in Vancouver is just the best, but he is expensive.  He's got a wonderful bedside manner and does top work.  I had abdominoplasty in 2006 and it cost $10,000 at that time.  If you can get some it paid for by MSP that would be great.
There is a lot of information on his website, even if you want to look for a less expensive surgeon.  Check out:
http://gelfant.com/surgical-procedures/body-contour/abdominp lasty/
-raingal
Banded 6/17/2008
Band-to-sleeve revision 6/17/2011 - Dr. Jaime Ponce de Leon

chale
on 6/10/11 3:26 am - Canada
Topic: To Henner 33

I am also a patient of Dr. Nguyen's - I can't seem to find anyone else who sees him!

What operation are you having?  I have my second appointment with him (after seeing the dietician next week) and I am going to talk to him about VSG.

Can you tell me about your experiences with the dietician and so on?

Thanks!

Cynthia

Margo N.
on 6/9/11 1:16 pm
Topic: RE: 3rd appointment with Dr.Sampath
Woo hoo!!! Congratulations to you! I am available to chat  on the phone if you need. Just pm me and I'll send my number.
Margo - Burnaby, British Columbia HW 283 / SW 269 / GW 160 (I'm 5'8")
Check out my blog at http://www.vsggoodlife.com/

henner33
on 6/9/11 10:21 am - Canada
 Yay! I also got that letter for private, semi-private room preference and the Insurance coverage abut a week after my last appointment April 4th. Then on April 28th I got a call from them with my date for June 24th..... so sounds like things are moving right along. I am seeing Dr Nguyen but as he said to me last visit, they work together so the timing should be similar between the two. Exciting times ahead :). Had my phone consult with Nooshin yesterday to make sure I was all set for my liquid pre op diet. and now just counting down the days. One more full week and three days of work then it's of to Richmond on the 23rd. I have my anesthetist appointment at 2:00 on the 23rd and a pre-op weigh in with Nooshin at 2:45 and then try to curb the excitement for the rest of the evening until I am admitted the next morning. Not sure what time but I guess they will tell me that at the appointment on the 23rd. Emotional ups and downs at this point and the occasional OMG what am I doing lol but this is the normal reaction for most. So flippin excited I can hardly stand it! All the best to you.
See ya on the loser's bench soon....
Cheers
Heather
clovergirl
on 6/9/11 10:07 am - Canada
 That's fantastic!!! When is your date?? I'm hoping to book mine come the 27th when I see him again too.
jaynak
on 6/9/11 3:07 am - Canada
Topic: RE: has anybody had gastric bypass with Dr. Nguyen??
Just guessing here but I believe that the differences are in how they do it (laparoscopic instead of open) and I believe a change in where the stomach is attached to the intestines.  I think that it used to be attached much lower and resulted in many more nutritional complications.  Did you ask him to clarify what he meant by that???
jaynak
on 6/9/11 2:13 am - Canada
Topic: RE: Gastroscopy with Dr Sampath yesterday
When I was there in mid-May for my 2nd appointment I was chatting with the girls and they told me that referrals that were coming in at that time were being booked in October.  He has had a drastic increase in the number of referrals and so it's taking longer to get in is what I was told.  It will probably take a few weeks to find out the appointment date and they will contact your GP's office and not you directly.
jaynak
on 6/9/11 2:10 am, edited 6/9/11 3:02 am - Canada
Congrats!!!!!  That OR time must've just come in the last few days cause he didn't even know about it when I was there on Friday, he said they were hoping but still waiting.  Did he give you an approximate time for when he thinks it will be???  In about a week you should be getting a form from the hospital to indicate what type of accomodation you would like while there and a form for them to direct bill your extended benefits if you have them.  At least I did.
Most Active