Dyani’s Posts

Dyani
on 5/29/18 8:40 pm
Topic: RE: Victoria Bariatric Program?

Congratulations!

Can you tell those of us who are heading into orientation (mine is on June 13th) a bit about the process from orientation to surgery?

I am assuming they will require a pysch eval, possibly counselling, and visits with a dietician on top of the surgical consult. How many appointments did all of that add up to? I'm asking because I live in the Okanagan and I'm trying to determine realistic expectations for how many appointments I'm going to be attending (though, I'm hoping I can see a dietician and counsellor in my area if they allow it). According to the website, the time from orientation to surgery at RJH is about 8 months. Was that about right, based on your experience?

Thank you in advance for any information you have to share!

Dyani
on 5/29/18 8:32 pm
Topic: RE: Lapband Revision

Hi Everyone, I just found this site and I'm so glad to have done so! I did a search regarding the information I'm looking for but there were only a few posts about band-to-sleeve revisions from many years ago, and they didn't cover exactly what I was looking for.

I'm wondering if anyone in BC who will be having their surgery in Victoria went from a lapband to a gastric sleeve? Additionally, did you have Dr. Amson for both procedures? My questions are as follows:

What was your experience of Dr. Amson as a revision patient?

The lapband came with all kinds of complications and never worked correctly. I've been trying for years to have it removed. I assume that others would be looking for a revision for the same reasons and, if so and you've already had the revision from a band to a sleeve, how was the experience of the sleeve different from that of the band?

If you live off of Vancouver Island (I live in the southern interior of BC) did you have to attend every appointment (dietician, counsellors, etc.) in Victoria or were you able to complete some by phone or skype?

Thanks in advance for any information that anyone has to offer!

Dyani
on 5/29/18 8:17 pm
Topic: RE: BC MSP process

Hi Brenda! I'm also scheduled for orientation in June in Victoria. Do you mind me asking if your orientation is on June 13th? If so, we will be in the same orientation session!

When the woman called to book me into the orientation she told me that it would take about 1.5 hours. From my understanding, it will be like a presentation where they go over all the details of the two surgeries they offer (gastric sleeve and gastric bypass). She said that if at the end of the orientation I still wished to pursue surgery then I would be given a form to have labwork done and that the labwork would have to be completed within 2 weeks. From there, you will be scheduled for a 1-1 appointmet with your potential surgeon and it will be up to the surgeon to work with you to decide if surgery is right for you and, if so, which surgery is the best option for you.

Like you, I don't live in Victoria (I live in the Okanagan) so I have some questions regarding travel, etc. that I hope to ask at the orientation. According to the website for the Royal Jubilee's Bariatric clinic, it says that the approximate time from orientation session to surgery is 8 months.

Most Active