Kurt_1957’s Posts

Kurt_1957
on 8/25/18 10:13 am
Topic: RE: New Member - Fraser Valley

Hi All

I just signed up for this forum/site recently. I have been lurking and reading posts and replies for some time and just recently had my RNY surgery on July 31, 2018 in Richmond. The wait for the Richmond team was about 2½ years from referral to orientation. I had my orientation in January 2018 so it was about 6 months after that for surgery.

My highest weight, in May 2017, was 394 pounds (I'm male and 5'11" tall). I lost some weight on my own and by going to Livewell (medically supervised exercise clinic) and after the orientation I continued to work out, using the guidance of the (Bariatric) Certified Exercise Professional (CEP) that is part of the Richmond Team (and what they taught me at Livewell). I was 354 pounds on orientation day.

I set a goal to try and get down to 300 pounds by the time of surgery, not knowing exactly when (or if) they would clear me and was 293 pounds on surgery day. I was in the hospital for two days and, ironically, weighed 298 when released due the large amount of IV fluids they give you.

The wait for the Richmond procedure was worth it - the team is very professional, well organized and was able to accommodate my needs in regards to scheduling all the appointments, tests and interviews as I live live in the Fraser Valley and it is a 2 hours commute to the Richmond hospital. They have a manual you can purchase for $10 and it is work every nickel (no more pennies) as it is very comprehensive.

I have been fortunate so far in that I have not experienced any nausea or GERD/indigestion at all. I have not experienced any feelings of hunger at all and I am currently in week 4 (pureed foods) of the diet plan.I have lost 33 pounds, as of yesterday, since leaving the hospital (22 days ago) and my BP has dropped down significantly.

For those on the wait list for Richmond - keep the faith, have patience and once they call you for an orientation you won't believe how fast the time flies.

Kurt_1957

Most Active