G tube?

UuUuLaLa
on 2/13/08 5:59 pm
Does everyone that has RNY go home with a G-tube? I havent had this done yet and hope to over the next couple days or so, and I was reading about theG-tube. and remeber Dr Krahn saying something about it and had me sign a paper on that is it really necessary i know its a feeder and At the surgeon's discretion, some patients may have a gastrostomy tube (g-tube) inserted during surgery to drain secretions from the larger bypassed portion of the stomach. After a few days, it will be clamped and will remain closed. When inserted, the g-tube usually remains for another four to six weeks. It is kept in place in the unlikely event that the patient may need direct feeding into the stomach. I was wondering how many had this and how long it was till it was removed Does it matter if it is done open or lap? for all of Dr Krahn patiens in this forum that have had it done how long does he leave it in is it painful? and to top it off also a drain hanging from one side?? yikes any info would be helpful thanks
(deactivated member)
on 2/13/08 9:17 pm - Long Beach, CA
i sure did not. my 82 year old father is going to have one done next week prior to cancer radiation treatments... I'll be interested to hear what others have to say about G-tubes and RNY.... good for you for doing your research!! Lori
Steve J.
on 2/13/08 10:24 pm - Inland Empire, CA
RNY on 12/01/06 with
I had an open RNY and went home with a G-tube and a JP drain as well. Dr. Krahn pulled the G-tube out at my 1 week check up and the JP at the 2 week check up. Neither hurt or bothered me while in nor was the removal of the tubes painful at all.

Jaime C.
on 2/14/08 12:45 am - Pacific Grove, CA
RNY on 08/03/07 with
Hi sweety, I had a drain and Dr. Krahn pulled it out after about 1 1/2 weeks. It wasn't that bad- it actually became a part of me. LOL   The only bad part- you have to wear a big t-shirt to hide it if you want to go anywhere. It isn't that bad but more of an annoyance. When you get it taken out you will feel better and "free." Don't worry, the time goes by quick with the drain.  Good questions! Hugs, Jaime
Jaime C.

Most Active