Positive H.Pylori test with Surgery scheduled 2/25!!!

Sheryl_Williams
on 2/13/08 9:59 am
RNY on 02/25/08 with
Hi, Everyone! Since the surgeon's office was closed, I thought I'd post here. . . I'm scheduled for surgery on February 25, but just found out a few minutes ago that I tested positive for H.Pylori!!  I'm terrified.  Does that mean I'll have to reschedule my surgery date?!  That is not good news . . . and not just because I'd obviously be disappointed, but I've already purchased plane tickets for my mom to be here on the 21st, and my husband has requested time off already.  I'm seeing Dr. Yadegar in Lancaster.  If anyone has had him and knows what his procedure is, I'd love to know what to expect! On a wing and a prayer!
To have what you've never had, you must do what you've never done.  Victories don't come at discount prices.
Diane C.
on 2/13/08 11:16 am - Highland, CA
I don't know about your surgeon but I tested positive also.  Then the internest that my doc had working for him near killed me giving me medication that I was not suppose to take due to counter reaction with other meds I had, so I never got rid of mine and they went ahead and did surgery anyway.  I think that it's mostly people have it than don't have it.  They will probably start you on some meds soon to rid your body of it.  Don't worry, most antibotics work within 10 days and you will have some time still before surgery.  But do give your doc a call tomorrow and see what he says. Good Luck, Diane
Sheryl_Williams
on 2/13/08 2:10 pm
RNY on 02/25/08 with
THANK YOU for giving me hope!  That was an encouragement!  I was at a dinner tonight where I couldn't answer my cell phone.  When I checked it later, I saw that I'd received a call from my PCP's office, who asked me to call her.  It was 8:45 pm when she called, but when I called an hour later, I couldn't reach anyone . . .  I'm assuming it was about the test.  If I can get the meds on Thursday, then I'll have 12 days to take it, which hopefully is enough. I think the RN at the surgeon's office did tell me that most people do have the bacteria.  I'm thankful that I still have 12 days to rid my body of it, but still . . . kind of wish I had known before just last week that there was this possibility.  I took a 24-week Options class with Kaiser (Loved it!) about WLS and lost 33 pounds, so I had plenty of time to have rid my body of it before now instead of just finding out last week that I needed a blood test for H.Pylori and that there was a possibility that I'd have to go on antibiotics.  Sure cut it close! Wow - an intern messed you up?!  You know, I've seen a LOT of interns & medical students (like in swarms!) around Kaiser lately.  Now that I've heard your story, I'm a little nervous!! Where did you start when you had WLS, and how long has it taken you?  I was at 308 and am now at 275.
carla L.
on 2/13/08 11:38 am - Modesto, CA
what is h. pylor?
carla
Katt M.
on 2/13/08 1:08 pm - Fontana, CA
H. Pylori is the bacteria that causes ulcers. It can be nasty stuff. I tested negative for it. Wooohoooo!!!

~Katt~  Obesity Help Support Group Leader
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/abetterclassoflosers/
Sexy isn't a look, it's a state of mind. ~Me~
How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours. ~Dr. Wayne Dyer~
carla L.
on 2/13/08 2:14 pm - Modesto, CA
thanx kat... do they test everyone having surgery? mine is in 13 days...
carla
Katt M.
on 2/13/08 2:34 pm - Fontana, CA
I would think that they'd test everyone having the surgery. You have to send your poop to the lab and it takes about 1-2 weeks to get the results. If you haven't had it done by now, I don't think your doc will order it.

~Katt~  Obesity Help Support Group Leader
http://www.obesityhelp.com/group/abetterclassoflosers/
Sexy isn't a look, it's a state of mind. ~Me~
How people treat you is their karma; how you react is yours. ~Dr. Wayne Dyer~
(deactivated member)
on 2/13/08 2:35 pm - Palmdale, CA
Poop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  We do a blood sample.   Liz
(deactivated member)
on 2/13/08 1:59 pm - Palmdale, CA
Sheryl, Please call me in the morning. Liz
Sheryl_Williams
on 2/13/08 2:19 pm
RNY on 02/25/08 with
Hey, Liz!  I saw you were on here a few weeks ago, but didn't know how often you post.  I tried to call you this afternoon just after 4:00 when I found out, but got the Exchange, & left a message. Just poking around here trying to get an idea of what to expect for this turn of events!    That was very unexpected news -- (wish I could have had that tested for earlier).  After six months in classes I don't want anything to jeopardize February 25. Kaiser called me at 8:45 tonight (I was in a dinner and couldn't answer) saying they want me to call my PCP in the morning.  I assume it's about the test.  Tried to call them back but couldn't reach anyone. We'll get it figured out (hopefully!).  Talk to you in the AM. Sheryl
Most Active