Just Joined

Nancy S.
on 8/11/12 7:23 am
Hello,

Just wanted to introduce myself and was wondering where the support groups are and how to find them. I live in Littleton and i am having my surgery in Parker at Parker adventist with Dr. Metz hopefully in October , I would like a support group closer to my area? where to look? And should I be stocking up on protein now, How do you find a good one and what are some of your favs?

Thanks
Nancy
domika03
on 8/11/12 7:17 pm
Hi there,

I'm new on here too, and don't see a lot of acticity for the CO WLS forum. What's up with that?

My surgery is scheduled for next Friday, Aug 17th. I'm excited, and nervous. My surgeon is Dr Michael Snyder near the Cherry Creek area, but I'm from Westminster. I have my pre-op visit the day before my surgery :-0

I'm trying to figure out this protein thing myself. Kinda confusing because I'm not sure I understand the difference between protein shakes & protein drinks? I posted the question under the surgery date forum for Aug, just moments ago so I hope someone replies.

You should definitely be trying different types of protein drinks to find out which ones you like. I find they're expensive so try to ge a few samples.

Good luck

Warm Regards,
Fran
Nancy S.
on 8/12/12 3:45 pm

Hi

I am excited for you, I was wondering if you heard a response yet, I can only hope the office will give me a list of what types of protein to get. lets keep each other posted since there is not alot of action in Colorado that we know of. I will be rooting for ya and just know I am right behind ya. I think its important to join a support group, I am going to look into that. If I find some inexpensive shakes that taste good I will let you know. Thanks for reponding and seriously Good Luck.

carlak
on 9/3/12 3:14 pm - Bradenton, FL
 Go Swedish Medical Center or go on their website there is a Support group there. I didnt have to do Protien shakes when I didmy surgery ten years ago. I dont do them now never did or when I do try them I have a allergic reaction cause I am allergic to soy. 
I had RNY 10 years ago and lost 150 pounds and have maintained my weight loss. 
Im Carla and live in Florida now but return to Denver about twice a year to see my surgeon. I am here now cause I just had hernia surgery with him.
Carla
image hosting site

StephWantsToSki
on 10/3/12 6:43 am - CO
RNY on 09/28/12 with
 Thanks for the introduction Nancy.  I, too, am looking for face to face support with people in Denver, CO.  I had my RNY surgery Sept. 28th.  Parker is a bit far, but if you are ever up in Denver I'd be happy to meet for coffee (decaf of course!) and chat.

As far as protein shakes, drinks, blah, blah.  It has gotten crazy in past few years.  There are SOO many choices.. flavors.  I bought mine at Whole Foods.  It is a Whey Protein Isolate (the Isolate part is important as there are lesser quality ones) with no sugar added.  It is 108 calories per scoop and 26g of protein per serving.

I mix it with:
a liquid:  milk, juice, or water
+
a thickener: SF jello, SF pudding, or yogurt
+
additional flavors:  SF drink mixes, instant coffee, SF syrups, Stevia, nutmeg, cinnamon,vanilla

I can see no other way of getting in 60-80g of protein a day without doing 2 or 3 shakes.  Keep in mind you can only absorb ~20-40g of protein at a time so adding two scoops doesn't really help.
Most Active
Recent Topics
Denver Metro Area?
3LittleMonkeys · 0 replies · 4608 views
Thoughts on Dr. Long in Parker?
WitchySar · 1 replies · 5607 views
Anyone in Colorado Springs?
JayBay · 1 replies · 5851 views