How did you decide between the different surgeries

Trudy S.
on 6/11/03 1:48 am - Norwalk, CT
I have to decide what surgery to have I am undecided it is between Gastric Bypass or the Lap Band.
Christine E.
on 6/12/03 11:25 am
When I had my initial consult, Dr. Valin did offer me the option of lap band, and I did consider it. I started to think to myself : gee, that's great...not as much restrictions as the rny...I can have the band *loosened* for vacations and weddings, etc. hmmmm...Then I yanked my chain. Hard!! I had only had an initial consult and I was already thinking of how I was going to eat around the surgery...how I was going to cheat. That freaked me out. I knew right then and there that I needed the permanence that the RNY offered me. That my tummy was going to be FOREVER changed...and in order for me to forever change, that little tummy was going to have to forever change. That was how I decided to go with RNY! And from that moment, I have never looked back. I am 19 months post op...one year post op today from my TT...and extrememly happy about my decision. Have a Sparkling Day!! ~CAE~
Melissa M.
on 6/15/03 1:00 pm - Woodbury, CT
For me there was no choice to make. I absolutely was NOT going to have my internal organs "modified" in any way. I also felt that the Lap Band was safer and carried much fewer side effects. One big difference is that the weight generally doesn't come off as quickly with the Band (which is alright with me). Your decision truly depends on what you would like the outcome to be. If you want to totally change WHAT you eat, the RNY (which can be done laparoscopically) is a good choice. But if you're like me, and would like to be able to eat most foods (in limited quantity) then the Band is a great behavior modification tool. Good luck with your decision. Let us know what you decide.
Lorraine C.
on 6/16/03 6:44 am - Norwalk, CT
Hi, I originally thought I was going for the lap band and that was it, but after talking to a few doctors, reading extensivly about both surgeries and listening to what the people here had to say. I realized that in my opinion the lap band has more long term problems, (they can get twisted and need alot more long term care and adjustments) and its not permanent, I need something more looooooong term. If I could manage my weight on my own I wouldnt need any surgery. On the other side you get more nourishment on the lap band but I am confident that I can be healthy with vitamins. Now that I re-read this I realize that I havent really given you a great answer. It is really personal, what can you handle, what are you willing to handle? Good luck, let me know what you are doing. Lorraine
Most Active
Recent Topics