Peter Herida (BIGPETE) has passed away

Linda A.
on 6/27/03 7:31 am - Indian Harbour Beach, FL
This is the hardest post I have ever had to write. My good friend and an amazing human being Peter Herida (BigPete803) passed away yesterday. Many of you know him as the guy from Oprah. Peter had an amazing journey. He start out weight was 863 pounds. He was never expected to live through the surgery. In the first 10 months he lost 560 pounds, and ended up losing 608 total. He had been homebound for 20 years because of his weight prior to surgery, he had also been in a wheelchair for 12 years. He got a new lease on life after surgery and he embraced it to the fullest over the past few years. I first met Pete at the first support group meeting I attended. Even though it had been 3 years since his surgery he still attended each and every support group meeting. He said that the doctor's there could save a persons life, but he could provide someone with hope. He also worked as a volunteer for the hospital and visited and supported weight loss surgery patients on a regular basis. He has answered tens of thousands of emails over the past few years providing support. He also did many speaking engagement not only to the patient community but also to the medical community to educate them as to the needs of pre and post op patients. When I had my gastric bypass he was there to hold my hand in the recovery room and again when I had my plastic surgery. Over the past few months we have spent a great deal of time together. He became very close to myself and my family. He had become Uncle Pete to my kids. Peter knew that he was dying due to medical condition unrelated t
Liza B.
on 6/27/03 11:33 am - Ansonia, ct
This is a tremendous loss. My thoughts and prayers are with you, Linda and with Pete's family. Mega hugs and muahs!
Tove Annelise H.
on 6/27/03 11:37 am - Middletown, Ct
RNY on 10/06/03 with
I felt so touched reading your posting (It was not showed in full), please give my best to his family and yours. It's so sad to loose a friend, may his spirit forever be with you and yours. ~Tove
PookieW2
on 6/27/03 1:31 pm - Milford, CT
Linda, I envy the friendship you had with Peter. You and your entire family's lives have been enriched and blessed. I am sure he will be watching over all of us but keeping special tabs on you. May god keep him in light and peace....
pinkpinkycat
on 6/28/03 1:00 am
Linda, You have my deepest sympathy. Pete was huge inspiration to people. His passing will be deeply felt. I wish you much love and comfort.
Janet S.
on 6/29/03 6:24 am - Stafford Springs, Ct
I am truly sorry to hear of this sad news. He was a wonderful man and so supportive. I will always remember his story about his visit on the Oprah show. He will be missed. I believe the Lord has some work for him up thereand needed him now but that if we call on him to help us he will be there in spirit to give us strength. He will always be a friend in WLS. Janet
Most Active
Recent Topics