In need of health insurance.... so close to the end of my journey

Lynn1970
on 5/30/11 3:36 am - New London, CT

Hello I am new to this site and at the moment I am very stressed out. I will be losing my health insurance in the next few days and don't know what to do. I have been out of work on worker's comp and was returned to part-time work two weeks ago. When my employer got the work release they said that they did not have a job available for me. I have been paying for my own health insurance since October 2010 because my employer elected not to cover my health insurance benefits any longer. So here I am with no income for the time being. I have applied for unemployment, however I do not have a hearing date scheduled until the end of next week. I will need to get new health insurance but I am not sure of which other health insurance companies will cover gastric bypass surgery.

I am on the last leg of my journey to obtain gastric bypass surgery. My doctor requires a fast & weight loss prior to surgery. I have 10lbs to go (total 40lb that I had to loose). Now I am in panic mode because I know that I should have the 10 lbs off soon but now I have to find health insurance coverage.

I am single, no kids so I am not sure if/how State Insurance coverage would work for me.

Any suggestions/answers would be greatly appreciated.

LMCLILLY
on 6/2/11 4:42 am - Central, CT
 I'm admittedly not that knowledgeable...but wouldn't you qualify for COBRA if you're approved for unemployment?  I think you would.  

COBRA is an extension of your existing health care plan.  So, if your existing plan covers it, then COBRA will too. 

You'd just need to work with your surgeon and explain your cir****tance so that they get you scheduled for surgery quickly!  

Just a thought...

Best of luck to you,

Best,

Lisa C

From CT

Lynn1970
on 6/2/11 4:39 pm - New London, CT
Thanks Lisa C for responding to my question,

I left out a few things, when I was in my panic mode. I have been covered by Cobra since October of last year. It is so expensive that I was not able to make my payment last month. As soon as you have a payment lapse, they will not reinstate your benefits.  I heard something about Medicaid for low income families and I am going to apply to see if I can get coverage through them. I was checking out different insurance companies to see who would cover this surgery (besides Anthem bc/bs which I had).

Thanks again for the response, hopefully I will have a resolution soon and get back on track.
Most Active
Recent Topics