Dr Aranow - What is in Corvita 150?

LIGHTNFIT
on 11/12/11 6:58 am
RNY on 12/14/09 with
You prescribed it and I dutiflly filled it a few times.  But I can't for the life of me figure out what is in it.  So I stopped taking them, and am taking 3 of Feosol carbonyl iron a day.  (These:  http://www.drugstore.com/feosol-iron-supplement-therapy-carbonyl-iron-45mg-caplets/qxp198243)

In the AM I take a chewable adult vitamin (CVS Spetravites), 5000 IU Vit D3, a b complex, and magnesium.  In the PM I take the adult chewable, the feosol (3x45 mg), 1000 mg Vit C, and magnesium.  In between, I take calcum (celebrate chewable calcium citrate).  I try to keep the calcium away from my dietary iron sources.

Does that seem reasonable enough, if the only *real* issue with my labs was low (and dropping) ferritin?
LIGHTNFIT
on 11/13/11 1:55 am
RNY on 12/14/09 with

I forgot the b12.  I take sublingual b12 every other day.
jaranow
on 11/25/11 12:17 pm - Middletown, CT
Corvitia is a highly absorbable iron. Feosol is not well absorbed and is highly constipating. Soooo take the corvitia. Other alternatives are vitron-c and ferrex-28. All of these have vitamin c in them to aid in iron absorption.
LIGHTNFIT
on 11/29/11 7:42 am
RNY on 12/14/09 with

-Vitron C appears to be Ferronyl Iron.
-Ferrex-28 looks like it is a blend of Ferrous Asparto Glycinate and Ferrous Fumarate.
-Feosol is carbonyl iron.

What is the form of iron in the corvita?  

And what forms of iron are the most bioavailable?

I am more than willing to continue taking the corvita....once I know what is in it.  All I can find is that it is considered a multi, and contains 
IRON/VITAMIN C/VITAMIN B12/FOLIC ACID.  It comes from the pharmacy in blister packs in a plastic baggie, so I don't have the PI.  Perhaps it is iron polysaccaride?  It is really poorly documented exactly what I am taking, and how much of it.

Most Active
Recent Topics