How did 9 years slip by??!!

LMCLILLY
on 12/9/11 6:09 am - Central, CT
 I almost let me 9 year surgery anniversay pass by without acknowledging it at all!

Wow.  I can hardly believe it.  9 years.  It's been an amzaing 9 years.  

I'm so lucky to have been given the gift of the tool to use to change my life for the better.

I'd like to thank Dr. Aranow, who performed by gastric bypass.  I know that his skill, his exceptional bariatric program and his bedside manner (including the necessary tough love!) have been the main reasons for my success.  Thank you for my life back Dr. A.  Where would I have been withouth you?

Nine years ago I was super morbidly obeese, weighing in at aprox 320 lbs.  I had several very serious co-morbidities as well.  Today, my only lingering health problem is the old complaining hips and knees.  (They like to remind me just how much I once punished them.)  I am weighing in at about 150 lbs.  I've been lighter (was down to 130 at one point) and I've been a fair sight heavier as well for a bit.  But, I fought and am lucky to be able to continue to succeed.

I can't stress enough that when people mention, 'it's stomach surgery, not brain surgery'- they're not kidding.  Today, I remain convinced that the key, and I do mean THE key to long term success revolves around participating in regular bouts of brain surgery with yourself.  We must constantly be assesing and reassesing our emotions (good and bad), patterns, behaviors & additudes and fighting to break (and keep broken) our unhealthy relationship with food.    

The regualr support, both in person and online of the OH and the Middlesex community have been invaluable to me in that process- thank you all for that!

I hope that those of you who are still in trying to get surgery will hang in there and stay the course.  It's SO worth it!

I hope that those of you who are struggling and maintaining stay the course too.  I KNOW you can do it!

All the best wishes,
Lisa

Dan R.
on 12/9/11 8:36 pm - Madison, CT
RNY on 08/04/08 with
Lisa, thank you for posting this!!!! and congrats!!! wishing you continued success!!!
Obesity Help Support Group Leader
Founder-Central Connecticut Cares
LIGHTNFIT
on 12/11/11 10:04 am
RNY on 12/14/09 with
 Wow - congratulations!
LMCLILLY
on 12/15/11 5:04 am - Central, CT
 Thanks for your congrats guys :-) 

I've een lurking about and seeing who is aroud and I'm kinda sad to see no old tiimers here.  I guess that's life, we move on...

But, I do hope that my small success helps someone *****ads about it and might encourage them too.  I used to love reading from the 'old timers' when I was new here.

Best,

Lisa C

From CT

jakedm
on 1/20/12 4:31 am

Yay LIsa!!  I was looking for Dr A. Testimonials - I had a lap band - was removed - no problems just wasn't the right tool - thinking of a bypass!!

LMCLILLY
on 1/20/12 5:31 am - Central, CT
 Well good luck to you!  Dr A is very skilled.  You should certainly try and meet with him.

Best,

Lisa C

From CT

Mags0517
on 2/14/12 3:57 am
Hi,
I'm an old timer too. It's been 7 years for me. I can't believe time has gone by so fast. Dr. Valin did my surgery, and I would go to him again if I had to do it over. I started out at 245 lbs, and am now lurking around 130. I've been a little higher, and I've been a lot lower. I have a lot of chronic pain issues now, so sometimes I just don't feel like eating due to pain.
This is a wonderful tool I've been given, and I'm proud of myself for not have abused it over the years. I have no regrets about getting this surgery.
I wish all that are getting, or have just had this surgery well..

Maggie
(deactivated member)
on 5/16/17 6:28 pm, edited 5/23/17 4:08 am

Hi Lisa

i know this is a very old post but very inspiring. You have done amazing! I had my RNY in May 2008 and lost 130 lbs met my goal. Over past 2 years put 40 back on. The one thing I never had was a support group and never joined this site. Where in CT is your support group is it still active?

Thanks for all

Kathy S.
on 5/18/17 1:54 pm - InTheBurbs, XX
RNY on 08/29/04 with

You have already taken the hardest step by saying enough is enough and now I want to get back on track. Here are some steps I hope will help you. They helped me...

Planning/Preparing

Remember when we were preparing for surgery? How many meetings, classes and such did we attend? We were told the more prepared we were the better our chances were for success. And they were right. Go through the house, car and work place and get rid of trigger foods. Stock up on foods that will keep you on track. I removed every bad carb/sugar temptation and replaced it with lots of protein, veggies, grains and fruits.

Journaling

Get back to journaling. This will help you identify when you feel like eating, stress factors and any triggers in your life. Once you identify these factors, this will help you put tools in place to keep you from eating. It became clear I was not taking time for me anymore. I worked my day job and then spent the rest of my time caring for my husband. It was easy to reach for fast, prepackaged food. Since I purged my home I have to eat clean as there are no other options LOL

Use a tool to track you're eating and exercise like Getting Started with Health Tracker. Once I started to track ever bite and drink it became clear why I had gained.

Goals/Rewards

Make a list of goals for yourself. Make them realistic and small. Some of mine were move more, purge all junk from my home, eat more protein.

Food

In general, a long term post-weight loss surgery eating plan includes foods that are high in protein, and low in fat?, calories, and sugar. Important, vitamins and minerals are provided as supplements. (if you had a different surgery adjust this to your food plan).

Water

Water is our Best Friend. I have to say I never went back to pop or any bad drinks, however I was drinking tea like crazy. What is wrong with drinking tea? I was either using sugar or 3 equals and 3 sweet n lows per 32 ounce glass. So I was either pushing to be diabetic or get cancer. I found once I started carrying a bottle of water around 24/7 (yes had one at my bedside) I lost the cravings for the sugar and I KNOW those artificial sweeteners are not good for me. Look I am old and if you add up all the artificial sweeteners I have consumed I am sure I am at the rat in the lab getting cancer threshold.

MOVE!

I can't say enough about how key this was for me. The reason I kept my weight off for almost 10 years was no matter what, I kept moving. If I could not go to the gym I would walk. I loved Zumba, bootcamp workouts, lifting weights. When I stopped, the weight started coming back. So for me I am starting slow to avoid injury by walking and using some of the workouts on my Demand TV. Find something you love to do and it won't feel like a pain in the *** to do daily.

Support

If it's an option "run" don't walk to a support group.

Keep me posted on how you are doing.

HW:330 - GW:150 - MW:118-125

RW:190 - CW:130

(deactivated member)
on 5/18/17 2:20 pm, edited 5/18/17 7:25 am
Most Active
Recent Topics