Six Months Out

Aquion
on 1/15/12 12:38 am - CT
 Hi All:

I had surgery just about six months ago. Dr. Aranow did a stellar job on me. When I started the process, I was 380 pounds. I am now down to 240. I feel great! I'd like to lose another 20 pounds or so even though my wife says I'm too skinny now. I remember being 220 while in college (actually, I thought I was fat at 220 then), so 220 has been my goal. The lightest I ever weighed was in the high 190s, but I don't think that's possible or even desirable now.

My surgery went really well. I didn't experience much pain at all. The procedure took place on a Wednesday, and I took my last pain pill the following Monday. The worst part of the whole process was wearing those blood clot socks for two weeks in the middle of the Summer. I'd do it all again in a heartbeat. I'd trade a couple of weeks of itchiness and discomfort for my results any day of the week.

Before I had the surgery (gastric bypass), I had high blood pressure, diabetes, high cholesterol, a bad back and aching joints. I am off all my medications now. I no longer suffer from sleep apnea, and I don't miss my bipap machine one bit. I now enjoy a much more active lifestyle and am much happier for it. I can't recommend Dr. Aranow and gastric bypass surgery enough. I wish I had done it sooner.

teachrmom
on 1/16/12 6:27 am - Enfield, CT
RNY on 06/14/06 with
Congratulations on your success!  Isn't it amazing how much better things are after surgery?  Keep up the great work!
Tracy
jakedm
on 1/20/12 4:27 am
Hi!  Congratulations on your success.  I was just getting on the site to ask about Dr. Aranow!  I had a lapband in 2007 removed this past May - we didn't work well together....I think if I had the realize band there would have been more room to get a good fill but.........so as much as I loved my surgeon - his follow up and hospital follow up was not good at all...I have heard about Dr. Aranow - and was hoping to learn more - my insurance will pay - so not an issue - do you remember how quick it was to get an appt after you went to the info seminar???
(deactivated member)
on 2/5/12 12:00 pm, edited 2/5/12 12:01 pm
Congrats. Your success level is similar to what I hope to achieve. Hope all goes well for myself as well. I'm starting at 420 lbs. and goal is to be less than 240. My Dr. is Barba from central CT. If I may ask, what sort of excersize routine did you do? My surgery is day after tomorrrow. 2/7/12.
LMCLILLY
on 2/7/12 3:46 am - Central, CT
Congrats on your success to date!  It's so wonderful to be free of your co-morbidities.

I caution you to go with the flow on the weight.  If you're eating right and exercising and you're loosing weight- so be it.  As long as all is well health wise.  

Then too, we can go through this very awkward pediod during rapid weight loss where we can look kind of... droopy...and like we might have lost too much.  Sometimes we even look a bit unhelathy- dull complexion, drawn, hair loss, etc.  Often the shock our loved ones fees at seeing the changes causes them to say 'OK that's ENOUGH".  We don't see the loss the same way someone outside does.  Your loss has been rapid and DRAMATIC so your body will take a bit to catch up with itself so don't judge on appearance.  

Go by how you feel and your BMI, not by your weight history or by what family opinions (well intentioned though they are) may be.

Remeber too that there is, inevitably, a certian amount of 'bounce back' weight that you can expect after you stop loosing.   

Also, of COURSE, follow the guidelines of your surgeon.

Keep up the great work!

Best,

Lisa C

From CT

KristenT.
on 3/8/12 12:56 am
 Congratulations!!  Lisa C had some great advice--I agree with her!!  I'm more than 18 months out and still doing great but have stopped loosing.  I'm trying not to re-gain but it's nice to have a cushion.  Loose as much as possible in the first 18 months!!  Then you can cruise a bit more.  All the best!!
Most Active
Recent Topics